Psychology Paper 1

EmilyFCH

So how are we feeling? Personally, I thought the questions were kind of boring. Ended up doing one on compliance techniques in section B, which I didn't feel there was much to evaluate on... Should have taken ethical considerations, but found it such a dull question! 

I thought the questions were horrible. I had to take the brain imaging technologies question :( How in depth do you think they expect you to know about how they function?  :mellow:

I totally agree! I did the brain imaging technologies one as well and I ended up messing the whole thing up. As opposed to how they're used to study behavior I talked about how they are used for brain localization an I used studies like the case of Janet and Maguire et al.'s London taxi drivers, and my essay ended up completely irrelevant to the question  :(  I also found the first one in Section A pretty hard cause I couldn't think of any studies to support my arguments...

Edited by i3lena

I thought the questions were horrible. I had to take the brain imaging technologies question :( How in depth do you think they expect you to know about how they function?  :mellow:

I totally agree! I did the brain imaging technologies one as well and I ended up messing the whole thing up. As opposed to how they're used to study behavior I talked about how they are used for brain localization an I used studies like the case of Janet and Maguire et al.'s London taxi drivers, and my essay ended up completely irrelevant to the question  :(  I also found the first one in Section A pretty hard cause I couldn't think of any studies to support my arguments.

Same here :( Really really dissapointed!! :( I took also Maguire et al´s study and Dragansik et al. I also took Fisher et al for fMRI. But I messed up the method in Draganski´s study a little bit :( Also I kind of only wrote for fMRI "records blood flow in the brain" O.o I hope they don´t expect the physical technology behind it. :( Also I wrote the localization of function and that it is noninvasive and that healthy participant´s can also be investigated. But I was honesty not satisfied at all :(

I totally agree! I did the brain imaging technologies one as well and I ended up messing the whole thing up. As opposed to how they're used to study behavior I talked about how they are used for brain localization an I used studies like the case of Janet and Maguire et al.'s London taxi drivers, and my essay ended up completely irrelevant to the question  :(  I also found the first one in Section A pretty hard cause I couldn't think of any studies to support my arguments.

Same here :( Really really dissapointed!! :( I took also Maguire et al´s study and Dragansik et al. I also took Fisher et al for fMRI. But I messed up the method in Draganski´s study a little bit :( Also I kind of only wrote for fMRI "records blood flow in the brain" O.o I hope they don´t expect the physical technology behind it. :( Also I wrote the localization of function and that it is noninvasive and that healthy participant´s can also be investigated. But I was honesty not satisfied at all :(

Damn, I should have used Fisher! I love that study and it would've been so fitting... I'm pretty sure I messed up real bad on paper 1 but I'm quite happy with paper 2. I did question 11  (psych of human relationships - prosocial behavior across cultures). Too bad it won't really mean anything cause paper one's like 50% of the final grade  :unsure:

Damn, I should have used Fisher! I love that study and it would've been so fitting... I'm pretty sure I messed up real bad on paper 1 but I'm quite happy with paper 2. I did question 11  (psych of human relationships - prosocial behavior across cultures). Too bad it won't really mean anything cause paper one's like 50% of the final grade  :unsure:

I did that too on human, but it was so confusing because it was explain??!! Did you evaluate the studies? 

I did that too on human, but it was so confusing because it was explain??!! Did you evaluate the studies? 

No, I used the studies to kinda 'prove' that prosocial behavior is expressed differently in different cultures and why it is that way. My arguments basically revolved around how collectivist cultures tend to show more prosocial behavior than individualistic cultures and that religion tends to have an influence. I used four studies overall and in my conclusion I linked it all to the three levels of analysis; biological because there is the evolutionary theory that it was beneficial to our ancestors and that's why prosocial behavior is still around (and supported that with Hamilton's kin selection), I used Batson's empathy-altruism to connect it to the cognitive level and analysis, and finally I said that some cultures show it more than other because of different social norms, linking it to the sociocultural level of analysis. I just shortly summarized the studies I used to support the points I was making. How did you answer it?

No, I used the studies to kinda 'prove' that prosocial behavior is expressed differently in different cultures and why it is that way. My arguments basically revolved around how collectivist cultures tend to show more prosocial behavior than individualistic cultures and that religion tends to have an influence. I used four studies overall and in my conclusion I linked it all to the three levels of analysis; biological because there is the evolutionary theory that it was beneficial to our ancestors and that's why prosocial behavior is still around (and supported that with Hamilton's kin selection), I used Batson's empathy-altruism to connect it to the cognitive level and analysis, and finally I said that some cultures show it more than other because of different social norms, linking it to the sociocultural level of analysis. I just shortly summarized the studies I used to support the points I was making. How did you answer it?

OMG that was so clever! I linked it to the empathy-altruism theory too. But I evaluated very much. And I also talked about the social identity theory and how collectivistic cultures and individualistic cultures differ. 

OMG that was so clever! I linked it to the empathy-altruism theory too. But I evaluated very much. And I also talked about the social identity theory and how collectivistic cultures and individualistic cultures differ. 

That sound good! I think collectivistic vs. individualistic cultures is what they were aiming for. Or at least I hope so  :P

I found the questions strange and weird. I never thought they would actually use evolution in the papers, even though it is in the assessment statements! I screwed up though, I used the Fessler et al study about disgust in pregnant women, but I accidentally wrote that it was by Rosentwig and Bennet.. Do the moderators severely downgrade on that? :(

I didn't do that good on the Social identity theory either, but I tried to explain it in terms of principles and groupmembership, in-group and out-group and used Howarth's study with Brixton. I felt like I did really good on the cogntive one, in TZ2 we had about research methods and used laboratory experiments in relation to Bartlett's study and then related that to the overall analysis and principle. 

I have no idea how it is going to go, I'm not sure paper 2 went the best either, but I felt my writing style, knowledge, and organization was still really good (and better than it would have been!!!) But, alas, I'm not sure it is enough. I'm happy with my personal development though!!

How high do you guys think the markbands will be this year?

What is your general impression of the papers? Did people do good in your class?

Predictions/expectations? 

I found the questions strange and weird. I never thought they would actually use evolution in the papers, even though it is in the assessment statements! I screwed up though, I used the Fessler et al study about disgust in pregnant women, but I accidentally wrote that it was by Rosentwig and Bennet.. Do the moderators severely downgrade on that? :(

I didn't do that good on the Social identity theory either, but I tried to explain it in terms of principles and groupmembership, in-group and out-group and used Howarth's study with Brixton. I felt like I did really good on the cogntive one, in TZ2 we had about research methods and used laboratory experiments in relation to Bartlett's study and then related that to the overall analysis and principle. 

I have no idea how it is going to go, I'm not sure paper 2 went the best either, but I felt my writing style, knowledge, and organization was still really good (and better than it would have been!!!) But, alas, I'm not sure it is enough. I'm happy with my personal development though!!

What is your general impression of the papers? Did people do good in your class?

I think it will be around the same as last year. But I think the papers were harder, but it depends on what you prepared for and how much. :S 

Hey guys! I chose the BLA essay question on research methods and I went on with case studies (Phineas Cage, HM) and lab experiments (Martinez&Kesner, Iacoboni) Who else did get away with this question?

I  wanted to ask about paper 2, did you guys have abnormal psychology as an option? and if yes, what did you do? 

Hey guys! I chose the BLA essay question on research methods and I went on with case studies (Phineas Cage, HM) and lab experiments (Martinez&Kesner, Iacoboni) Who else did get away with this question?

I  wanted to ask about paper 2, did you guys have abnormal psychology as an option? and if yes, what did you do? 

Damn, that was my fav question :( , and we did not have that one :( we had brain imaging tech. TZ2 here. 

Damn, that was my fav question :( , and we did not have that one :( we had brain imaging tech. TZ2 here. 

We had also brain imaging but in the CLA (TZ1)! I think the questions were not difficult, but unexpected! Was your paper alright though? 

• Like 1

I think it will be around the same as last year. But I think the papers were harder, but it depends on what you prepared for and how much. :S

I didn't exactly prepare for those questions, but knew what they were about and I think I answered them quite okay :) just don't know about the names of the one study, lol.

We had also brain imaging but in the CLA (TZ1)! I think the questions were not difficult, but unexpected! Was your paper alright though? 

How many Time zones are there? :OOO I don´t really know actually. I tend to underestimate my abilities and performance. But I don´t think it was that good. :( 

I agree with a lot of people. I thought the questions this year were very strange. I was expecting something like "Evaluate schema theory" or "Evaluate the reliability of memory". I was caught off-guard by the more general questions they gave us this year. 

I answered the one that was like "discuss the reasons why particular research methods  are used in the BLOA." I talked about animal research and case studies and just said that these two are used because of ethics. 

Hi guys! I'm just so glad it's finally over! For paper 1, some of the questions we did in the mock exams ended up coming so I was really happy! I wasn't expecting evolutionary to come though because it came last year but oh well. The 8 markers were fairly easy. I did BITs and gave HM for MRI and Harris and Fiske for fMRI. I'm pretty happy with that paper. Paper 2, I had abnormal and human relationships. For abnormal, I did treatment, though I wish I could've evaluated better and gave Neale and Paykel's studies. For human relationships, I answered the one on prosocial behavior, giving Whiting and Whiting, and Miller. The evaluation for this one was much better :) How about you guys?

Hi guys! I'm just so glad it's finally over! For paper 1, some of the questions we did in the mock exams ended up coming so I was really happy! I wasn't expecting evolutionary to come though because it came last year but oh well. The 8 markers were fairly easy. I did BITs and gave HM for MRI and Harris and Fiske for fMRI. I'm pretty happy with that paper. Paper 2, I had abnormal and human relationships. For abnormal, I did treatment, though I wish I could've evaluated better and gave Neale and Paykel's studies. For human relationships, I answered the one on prosocial behavior, giving Whiting and Whiting, and Miller. The evaluation for this one was much better :) How about you guys?

How did you answer the brain imaging tech question? Did you write a lot about how it functions?