May 2015- Physics Paper 1 and Paper 2

superspeed49

So how was it. Personally I found Paper 1 quite hard. By the way which questions did you answer in section b and what time zone are you?

This is a post from CkyBlue: Any thread related to papers is required to be created in the exam discussion topic, so the staff can approve when the time is right to discuss it. This discussion was only suppose to start at 13:00 GMT, but it started at 08:47 GMT. Discussing the exam any time before it is in violation of IBO regulations. It is imperative that you only discuss exams in that forum because it is under moderation. We cannot keep track of all the other forums.

Because there was no discussion of the actual content of the exam before the indicated time, nothing will be done. However, you must know when you are allowed to start discussing a paper based on the discussion schedule: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/34055-may-2015-exam-discussion-schedule/ 

it's been a little over 24 hours since I took the exam and I am TZ1 So I think I can go ahead and discuss it.

I thought Paper 1 was really hard too. I did not expect that based on previous papers. I answered question 6. IT seemed to be the easiest to me.

I was also TZ1 and found the paper 1 far harder than previous years. I did every past paper since 2009 and the 'classic' questions that usually are on the exam, weren't... I did the first section B question on paper 2, I thought it was a gift from heaven.

• Like 1

I am TZ2 and I also found Paper 1 challenging, a few questions totally surprised me such as the artificial transmutation or unit for capacitance. Paper 2 was very easy compared to my expectations, I skipped the answers that were worth like 15 marks, the rest I could answer more or less. I had no idea how to solve the last question in section A about magnetic fields, the rest in section A were fine, I picked 6 and 7 in section B. I was planning on doing 7 and 8 but I just started the question number 6 and was like.. oh well. Hope it was a good choice.

it's been a little over 24 hours since I took the exam and I am TZ1 So I think I can go ahead and discuss it.

I thought Paper 1 was really hard too. I did not expect that based on previous papers. I answered question 6. IT seemed to be the easiest to me.

It doesnt matter if it's been 24 hours for you, The IB prohibits any talk until 13:00 GMT  the day after. you (and by you i mean this topic in general, not just you) started talking about it before that. I assume we are okay now, but barely.

And about the papers, being TZ1 here. Paper 1 killed me. I'm honestly hoping that i get more than 10 questions right, most of them were guesses. Paper 2 wasnt as bad, I think i answered question 4 on section B, about climate and nuclear stuff. I'm going for a 35 or 40/50 on that one.

Edited by Guest

I did TZ2 HL and yeah Paper 1 was pretty interesting, you really had to think about the questions. Paper 2 I chose questions 7 and 9. The questions this year required a lot of thinking and paper 2 was more of explanations than calculations this year I feel.

• Like 1

What Zerozak said above is true, the discussions are not 24 hours after you've done the paper, it's always according to a set time. Take a look at the exam discussion schedule before you guys post anything, or you might be unlucky and IBO will find out. 

As for the papers, I'm TZ2 and I found Paper 1 harder than usual, but Paper 2 a gift. I was so stressed for time in the first paper, which is weird since I always finish it within 30 minutes at home. Exam stress, I guess. The units for capacitance I did not have time to figure out, and of course guessed wrong, and I'm pretty sure I got the last one wrong as well. Anyone know if 0000 is a valid binary number for question 38? Probably not... Can't remember if it was a signal for something or just numbers. 

Paper 2 went much better than usual, thank god. But did anyone get why you couldn't use UV light for polarization? I had no idea.

Also, I'm guessing SL kids only have to take 1 question, since so many seems to have done only one? I went for question 6 and 7, pretty good all in all! Hopeful made up somewhat for my terrible paper 1!

So nice to be done! :D

Sofia I think they asked why you could not use polarization for ultrasound and this is because sound is a longitudinal wave and polarization is the property of transverse waves only, at least that is what I wrote.. and as to question 38, can you remind me what it asked about?

• Like 2

I am TZ2 and I also found Paper 1 challenging, a few questions totally surprised me such as the artificial transmutation or unit for capacitance. Paper 2 was very easy compared to my expectations, I skipped the answers that were worth like 15 marks, the rest I could answer more or less. I had no idea how to solve the last question in section A about magnetic fields, the rest in section A were fine, I picked 6 and 7 in section B. I was planning on doing 7 and 8 but I just started the question number 6 and was like.. oh well. Hope it was a good choice.

Not entirely sure I managed to solve the emf question completely, if that's the one you mean. What I did is I used emf = Blv. B was given and the length was the sum of three of the sides (since it had not entered fully, so the last one wasn't in the field as of yet). Since the thing was dropped, the velocity could be found from doing a bit of mechanics, with s = length of one end, u = 0 and a = gravity. Then you can use v^2 = u^2 + 2as to find the velocity. 

Edited by Sofia.
  • Like 1

Sofia I think they asked why you could not use polarization for ultrasound and this is because sound is a longitudinal wave and polarization is the property of transverse waves only, at least that is what I wrote.. and as to question 38, can you remind me what it asked about?

Ah damn it, that's probably why... Didn't read the question properly! Thanks!

How many possible combinations of binary numbers (to form a signal, I think) with 4 places. I picked 16, but I'm thinking it should have been 15 since 0000 probably doesn't count. 

Also, what did you guys pick for the question about momentum of the electron in the box? I didn't find a problem with any of them, but I guess the last one (h/8L) wasn't possible since 16 is not a valid number for n? But hey, that I didn't realize until afterwards, of course.

I picked that too, you just raise the number 2 to the power of the number of places and you get 2^4 = 16

But does 0000 count? 

Yes it does :) Because in digital technology, 0000 strictly represents the state of the system, rather than the number zero. So the digital signal 0000 can represent the state at which the analogue signal is 0, for example.

• Like 1

There are 16 combinations: the numbers range from 0000 to 1111 (which is from 0 to 16). So yes, 16 is right.

0000, 0001,  0010, 0011,  0100, 0101, 0110, 0111, 1000, 1001, 1010, 1011, 1100, 1101, 1110, 1111 ...

Edited by superspeed49