May 2015- Physics Paper 1 and Paper 2

superspeed49

I picked that too, you just raise the number 2 to the power of the number of places and you get 2^4 = 16

But does 0000 count? 

Yes it does :) Because in digital technology, 0000 strictly represents the state of the system, rather than the number zero. So the digital signal 0000 can represent the state at which the analogue signal is 0, for example.

Awesome! :D

I am TZ2 and I also found Paper 1 challenging, a few questions totally surprised me such as the artificial transmutation or unit for capacitance. Paper 2 was very easy compared to my expectations, I skipped the answers that were worth like 15 marks, the rest I could answer more or less. I had no idea how to solve the last question in section A about magnetic fields, the rest in section A were fine, I picked 6 and 7 in section B. I was planning on doing 7 and 8 but I just started the question number 6 and was like.. oh well. Hope it was a good choice.

Not entirely sure I managed to solve the emf question completely, if that's the one you mean. What I did is I used emf = Blv. B was given and the length was the sum of three of the sides (since it had not entered fully, so the last one wasn't in the field as of yet). Since the thing was dropped, the velocity could be found from doing a bit of mechanics, with s = length of one end, u = 0 and a = gravity. Then you can use v^2 = u^2 + 2as to find the velocity. 

What didyou answer for part b (the one of the coil taking more time to enter)?

Because it would then be a circuit, so current will flow. According to Lenz's law, the force created by that current will oppose the force that created it, which was the force downwards. So suddenly, there will be a force upwards which slows it down. 

• Like 3

Because it would then be a circuit, so current will flow. According to Lenz's law, the force created by that current will oppose the force that created it, which was the force downwards. So suddenly, there will be a force upwards which slows it down. 

Oh, right... I never would have guessed that....

TZ2 here.

I thought paper 2 was a gift from satan, I don't know how you guys found it easy. I chose questions 7 and 8.

Paper 1 was so-so. Did anyone get a ton of A's in paper 1?

Or is it just me  :unsure:

I'm really hoping paper 3 won't be too hard.

I and most of my classmates chose Q7 and Q8 too- as they seemed the easiest ones.

TZ2 here.

I thought paper 2 was a gift from satan, I don't know how you guys found it easy. I chose questions 7 and 8.

How did you find question 7? 

Yes I m TZ2 and I did Question 7 and Question 8 (second and third question in section B). The question on magnetic fields was quite difficult for me, I couldn't find the time. Paper 1 was way harder... hoping paper 3 is easy...

For question 8, what did your graph for momentum looked like?

It started from 15.7 kgms^-1 passed through zero and at the endd of the time it arrived at -15.7 kgms^-1. I did a curve, as the F is changing (hence gradient of the graph was not constant). What did you do?

TZ2 here.

I and most of my classmates chose Q7 and Q8 too- as they seemed the easiest ones.

Really? I just read electrical currents and skipped that one immediately, hehe. Question 6 was pretty decent, more or less straightforward. Seems like we got few "show that" questions overall, which was a shame - love those!

TZ2 here.

I found Q7 alright, might have messed up a bit when calculating the mass. I used the equation Ek=.5mω^2x^2 to get the mass and got 3.something :/ Hbu? :D

TZ2 here.

I found Q7 alright, might have messed up a bit when calculating the mass. I used the equation Ek=.5mω^2x^2 to get the mass and got 3.something :/ Hbu? :D

Why 5? I used the same equation, but I got something like 0.27 kg. 

TZ2 here.

Also, how did you draw the graph for the KE of particle B?

TZ2 here.

I used that formula too :) but i cant remember what i got (3kg you say?)

Really? I just read electrical currents and skipped that one immediately, hehe. Question 6 was pretty decent, more or less straightforward. Seems like we got few "show that" questions overall, which was a shame - love those!

hahah same here! I hate electric currents with passion and question 6 was very nice :D Was it about climate and the satellite?

TZ2 here.

I did the question on SHM and that on momentum. Which  were those?

hahah same here! I hate electric currents with passion and question 6 was very nice :D Was it about climate and the satellite?

Yep! 

TZ2 here.

TZ2 here.

I also got something like this with mass and my graph started at -0.1 and ended at 0.1 and it reached a quarter height

• Like 1

TZ2 here.

I did the question on SHM and that on momentum. Which  were those?

SHM was 7, and I think momentum was 9 but I'm not sure. 

TZ2 here.

TZ2 here.

1/2 the amplitude and 1/2 the displcement . YoU?

It started from 15.7 kgms^-1 passed through zero and at the endd of the time it arrived at -15.7 kgms^-1. I did a curve, as the F is changing (hence gradient of the graph was not constant). What did you do?

I got something completely different, although I'm sure that you're right. However, everyone I consulted so far about this question drew different things.

I basically reversed the graph of impulse, which was obviously the wrong answer. Don't know what I was doing :L.

I'm sure the question stated that you didn't have to state the values on the y-axis though. Or maybe that was for another question. I forgot D:

TZ2 here.

TZ2 here.

I also got something like this with mass and my graph started at -0.1 and ended at 0.1 and it reached a quarter height

Yep, mine too. Was a bit unsure about the quarter at first, but I think it should have been like that.. Hopefully :D