Math EE...

Alex Lee

Hi. The current subject for my EE is Math.

My topic on this subject is An in-depth investigation into the history of the development of integration and the application of integration in the real world.

I've got the basic outline for this essay, but in order to get to 4000 words, I need a specific type of mathematical concept to explain (for example, the gauss integration, Liouvilles Principle etc.) I've researched on these and found that it is way over my league. It's just to complicated to explain in a high school level essay. So i was wondering if you guys have any ideas on what to do.

Please help!!!

Edited by Alex Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Math EE do not have a minimum word count (for the examinations 2013 afterwards). My IBC has showed me A papers of only 2000-ish words.

I think "application of integration in the real world" is too broad. You may want to narrow down to the technique or the field of application (eg economics, physics, etc). 

It's very dangerous to learn something for the EE then just regurgitate it. I wouldn't recommend doing the Gauss integration or Liouville's Principle unless you have a decent understanding in either, at this point in time. 

"History of development of integration" sounds appropriate but you have to avoid turning the EE into a long summary of calculus' past. 

My original topic was use of probability in medicine (esp cancer and heart diseases) but it became too tedious and too hard to find data I desired so I switched (much later) to my then math IA topic (which was half done then). I looked at a variant of the slide rule, which has now made obsolete by computers. I was able to conduct primary research by attempting to reintroduce the slide rule variant in a classroom setting and observe the results which helped to explain the important (or the lack thereof) of this technique. I came in contact with in technique back in grade 10 and in my EE I focused primarily on personal experimentation of the most basic ideas.