Physics HL Paper 1 & 2

Megamind

Hey guys, how'd you find physics HL papers 1 and 2? As far as TZ2 is concerned, I found paper one much tougher than the last few years. The sums were time consuming given the small time limit of 60 minutes. It took me almost 45 minutes to finish the first 25 sums, and the rest 15 were still thankfully less time consuming and I could finish it. 

Btw. There was a question on green light being emitted from two point sources, which had just NOT been resolved. So the options asked how to resolve it and there were two contrasting ones: red light and using a circular aperture. Both would increase the angle theta so what'd you write? 

Paper 2 was awesome. I did options 6 (the climate change one with gravitational forces) and Option 7 (SHM and Thermodynamics). Section A had some tricky parts, especially the one where that non reflector is moved forward. Section B was too easy. 

Tell me how you found it ! :D 

Hey, TZ2 here.

P2 was a lot easier than P1. I did not struggle with time yet I know I lost a few points in P1 for not memorizing a few simple things.
In P2 section B I answered questions 8 and 9. I found 8th to be the easiest one while 9th was on par with others for me, so I picked it just because it gave away the most marks for some basic calculations.

Concerning your question about the two points sources: a very similar question appeared in a previous paper and the answer was that the light should be changed to violet. Violet has shorter wavelength -> in turn less diffraction -> hence higher resolution, as incoming rays now adhere to the Rayleigh criterion. You can find it as Q18 in M11/4/PHYSI/HPM/ENG/TZ2/XX paper.

I hope that relativity and communications options are as easy as P2.

Cheers.

Paper 1 was a disaster to me... I was very different from other past papers (i have to blame on myself for not study the concepts and graphs hahah).

Anyway, paper 2 was easier than I though, I chose question about CCD/escape speed and momentum one. Section A was a pain btw.

Good luck on your paper 3 exam guys!

Tz2 here as well. I think the paper 1 was really hard, and one question,the one about the magnet being introduced into a coil and having to measure the current, was incorrect.

Paper 2 was quite easy, especially the data analysis. I hope paper 3 is easy

Tz2 here as well. I think the paper 1 was really hard, and one question,the one about the magnet being introduced into a coil and having to measure the current, was incorrect.

Why was it incorrect ?

Why was it incorrect ?

Because it didn't say which way the current went.

Why was it incorrect ?

Because it didn't say which way the current went.

Conventional

Hey hassan, what was the answer to that one?

The current ? I chose A but not very sure,ma was positive sin starting from 0, since by lenz law the the current will have a magnetic field direction opposite to that of the planet , so by right hand grip rule it should be anti clockwise

What was your answer Sofia and mega mind to the question about the changing frequency, and the object moving in circle

The object moving in a circle was acceleration towards the circle, and velocity 90 degrees to that. The changing frequency, which one was that?

What was your answer Sofia and mega mind to the question about the changing frequency, and the object moving in circle

The object moving in a circle was acceleration towards the circle, and velocity 90 degrees to that. The changing frequency, which one was that?

A man holding standing stationary and something emitting sound moving in a circle

Pretty sure that was my answer too, but not sure.

Maybe at the end it is not A, we'll see

Oh, varying frequency is what I picked ^_^

What about the one with the alpha particle experiment being shot at gold? Something about a graph and the angle, related to 170 degrees. I just didn't understand that question. I think i chose A for that one..

Oh, varying frequency is what I picked ^_^

What about the one with the alpha particle experiment being shot at gold? Something about a graph and the angle, related to 170 degrees. I just didn't understand that question. I think i chose A for that one..

It is not specific to 170, the results from Geiger Marsden's experiment reveal that most of the alpha particles were not deflected.

I picked the varying frequency one too, since by definition, the velocity is constantly changing, hence the varying frequency. Same for the alpha particles too as you all- the one like an inverted U but a bit broader, max at 0 and min at 170 

• Like 1