Grade 12 super improvement stories

So i'm in grade 11 and I've been getting pretty mediocre scores (got a 33 semester 1 score, been droppin ever since) i'll probly end the year with a 31 average. Not to sound arrogant or anything, but I know for a fact that i'm doing way below my actual capabilities and my social life has been a significantly contributing factor to my grades.

Good news is that I recently found out that UK universities don't give a single sh*t about grade 11 scores and will only ask for your predicted scores in grade 12. I know I'll have to revise and catch up on the content from grade 11, for which I am planning on sacrificing my summer holiday also to work on my EE.

Warwick asks for an IB of 38, and assuming I get maximum bonus points all I have to do is get my 31 average increased to around 35 or above.

Is it plausible? Has anyone else done this before? Doing really bad in your first year and improving tremendously in your second year?

Uhmm my situation is kinda similar. Even though i got a 39/42 in my first term, i slacked off a lot in term 2 because of gaming and social networking and ended up getting a 35. I was really worried about this and so, i did some research. UCL requires a 39 and i was really scared after i got my 35 but then after talking to the school career counsellor i found out that not only UK colleges but almost all colleges mostly look into your predicted scores. After talking to my teachers they said that my 11th grades scored don't completely determine our predicted scores but also improvement that they see in class and how we do work on time and interact in class all matters. So even if you got a 33, work hard for the coming months and show your teachers that you can easily do way better than what you did. DO well on your class tests, submit all your homework on time and get on their good side XD. They'll give you good predicted scores. Hope this helps. 

From experience, you do improve :) first of all because as time goes on you get more an more used to answering IB questions. Also, grade 11 doesn't really count so much because you haven't even covered all of the syllabus. Its weird not to improve in grade 12. And I think its a good idea that you sacrifice your summer. I did that too because it wasn't going so well and it was well worth it! I was getting 3s in chemistry and then I got a 5. Also keep in mind that IB results also get done with internal assessment grades. So as long as you ensure that you get a good IA grade, and get a decent grade in a subject then it can all give you better results.

Final thing, don't rely on EE and TOK points. Try to achieve as much as you can with your subjects because thats your best option really, and count the EE and TOK points as bonus because those really do depend on the examiners. 

• Like 1

So i'm in grade 11 and I've been getting pretty mediocre scores (got a 33 semester 1 score, been droppin ever since) i'll probly end the year with a 31 average. Not to sound arrogant or anything, but I know for a fact that i'm doing way below my actual capabilities and my social life has been a significantly contributing factor to my grades.

Good news is that I recently found out that UK universities don't give a single sh*t about grade 11 scores and will only ask for your predicted scores in grade 12. I know I'll have to revise and catch up on the content from grade 11, for which I am planning on sacrificing my summer holiday also to work on my EE.

Warwick asks for an IB of 38, and assuming I get maximum bonus points all I have to do is get my 31 average increased to around 35 or above.

Is it plausible? Has anyone else done this before? Doing really bad in your first year and improving tremendously in your second year?

In the winter/fall exam session we had in my school I got 33 points. Now in the spring exam session I predict (based on test scores) to get 38-39 points with 776 at HL, and then EE + TOK score on top of that, so I am very happy with what I have accomplished this spring. 

What I did was the following: 

- deleted time consuming apps from my phone, for example ask.fm, youtube and 9GAG

- Figured out WHY I wanted to improve my grades

- Started drinking more coffee :D

- Spent more time studying, I was and I am still quite unproductive as I spend wayyy too much time on irrelevant web browsing etc

The main point is to be motivated and figure out why you want to improve your grades, after that, hard work is what is needed. 

You can if you want to ! :)

Edit: It might feel hard to delete the 9GAG app, but after a while you get used living without it 

Edited by Lynxarin

In the winter/fall exam session we had in my school I got 33 points. Now in the spring exam session I predict (based on test scores) to get 38-39 points with 776 at HL, and then EE + TOK score on top of that, so I am very happy with what I have accomplished this spring. 

- deleted time consuming apps from my phone, for example ask.fm, youtube and 9GAG

- Spent more time studying, I was and I am still quite unproductive as I spend wayyy too much time on irrelevant web browsing etc

The main point is to be motivated and figure out why you want to improve your grades, after that, hard work is what is needed. 

Edit: It might feel hard to delete the 9GAG app, but after a while you get used living without it 

I agree with you mostly. But I do not recommend more coffee. I used to do this and realised I got really moody and actually it doesn't help you concentrate in the long run ( keep in mind that, after all, caffeine is a drug and its effects aren't so great after a while). Instead of coffee, make a neat timetable and make sure you have time to sleep ( I recommend between 8-9 hours). 

I agree with you mostly. But I do not recommend more coffee. I used to do this and realised I got really moody and actually it doesn't help you concentrate in the long run ( keep in mind that, after all, caffeine is a drug and its effects aren't so great after a while). Instead of coffee, make a neat timetable and make sure you have time to sleep ( I recommend between 8-9 hours). 

You're right, but I said that I started to drink more coffee, not directly advising him or her to do so. It works fine in the short run but it is not a particularily good idea. Learning is so much easier after 8 hours of sleep, happens very very rarely for me -__-, and that's why productivity is necessary to avoid drinking coffee like crazy. As CriCri said, you will notice the long run effects after some weeks. I mostly have difficulties concentrating and reading occasionally. 

To summarize: I started drinking more coffee, BUT increasing productivity to get 8 hours of sleep every night is a much better way to go. :)

Edited by Lynxarin