CHEM IA

mr_awesome

Hi All, for the group 4 Sciences IA, does the research question need to include both the IV and DV? If so, if my IA was on factors affecting rates of reaction, would the DV be 'rate of reaction' or 'mass change (which is used to calculate the rate of reaction)'?

Hi All, for the group 4 Sciences IA, does the research question need to include both the IV and DV? If so, if my IA was on factors affecting rates of reaction, would the DV be 'rate of reaction' or 'mass change (which is used to calculate the rate of reaction)'?

Yes it does :)

Just think about DVs like this: The dependent variable is dependent on the IV. So, the DV is technically what gets changed in the experiment due to the IV. 

• Like 1

A research question (RQ) doesn't always have to include both IV & DV. However, it is recommended to do so because it sounds much clearer & would thus make it easier for your teachers to mark your IA.

In the RQ, you should phrase the DV as the "rate of reaction". However, in your report under the "Variables" section, you must phrase the DV differently. So let's just assume for now that your IV is temperature. Then your RQ should be: "How does the temperature affect the rate of reaction in...bla bla bla....?" On the other hand under the "Variables" section in your report, you must phrase the DV as "the rate of the change in mass" (because this is simply a measure of the rate of reaction). Notice that "mass change" is never a variable in your experiment.

For each of your trial, you will have to create a mass-vs-time graph. So the IV and DV for a single trial in your lab should be time and mass, respectively.

Then from the mass-vs-time graph of each trial, you're going to extract the average rate of the change in mass for that trial for a particular temperature. That information about the average rate of the change in mass will be graphed against the "temperature". So the IV and DV for the whole lab should be temperature and average rate of the change in mass, respectively.

Hope that helps :)

• Like 1

A research question (RQ) doesn't always have to include both IV & DV. However, it is recommended to do so because it sounds much clearer & would thus make it easier for your teachers to mark your IA.

In the RQ, you should phrase the DV as the "rate of reaction". However, in your report under the "Variables" section, you must phrase the DV differently. So let's just assume for now that your IV is temperature. Then your RQ should be: "How does the temperature affect the rate of reaction in...bla bla bla....?" On the other hand under the "Variables" section in your report, you must phrase the DV as "the rate of the change in mass" (because this is simply a measure of the rate of reaction). Notice that "mass change" is never a variable in your experiment.

For each of your trial, you will have to create a mass-vs-time graph. So the IV and DV for a single trial in your lab should be time and mass, respectively.

Then from the mass-vs-time graph of each trial, you're going to extract the average rate of the change in mass for that trial for a particular temperature. That information about the average rate of the change in mass will be graphed against the "temperature". So the IV and DV for the whole lab should be temperature and average rate of the change in mass, respectively.

Hope that helps :)

Thank you!

So basically, my DV in my RQ is the rate of reaction and the DV for the rest of my IA is the rate of mass change?

Thank you!

So basically, my DV in my RQ is the rate of reaction and the DV for the rest of my IA is the rate of mass change?

Yes exactly! You see, the goal of your lab (i.e. the RQ) is to measure the rate of reaction. But there are many different ways that you can do this, and measuring the rate of mas change is only one of them. Hence, the rate of the change in mass is chosen specifically for your own experiment as a measurement of the rate of reaction.

• Like 1