Using methods not on the syllabus

JDuncan5876

On the HL exam, would it be acceptable to use correct methods for certain things which are not described on the syllabus?  I'm specifically referring to using matrices to solve certain problems (e.g. determinants for systems of linear equations and cross products of vectors).  Using the determinant is really the only way our teacher taught us to do various things but the method is never in the markschemes so I'm afraid I will lose points.  Is it acceptable if it's still a correct method that gets the right answer?

On the HL exam, would it be acceptable to use correct methods for certain things which are not described on the syllabus?  I'm specifically referring to using matrices to solve certain problems (e.g. determinants for systems of linear equations and cross products of vectors).  Using the determinant is really the only way our teacher taught us to do various things but the method is never in the markschemes so I'm afraid I will lose points.  Is it acceptable if it's still a correct method that gets the right answer?

Yes of course, definitely! In fact, the authors of the HL Pearson book even recommend people to use matrices, if it takes less time to do so during the exams. The markschemes don't often contain the matrix methods, because of an obvious reason -- matrix isn't part of of the syllabus! But the thing is the examiners don't always rely entirely on the markschemes, they also rely on their intuitions as well! So don't worry :)