Honestly: is college easier for those who completed IB?

Ozzy

I just wanted to know if college and keeping up with the work is at all comparable to IB work, and if doing IB really Does help you later on.

I know, I know, even though I'm taking my exams this month I've had some time to sit back and reflect on everything that has happened. Kinna wondering if any of my effort was worth it. I got into a school other people Not in IB are able to get into. and I know that the way college works is different because its gonna be different teaching styles and we basically have to take care of ourselves, no mom doing laundry. What do you guys think, those who have already graduated from HS and are in college now?

Certainly my college courses weren't easier because of what I chose to study, but I was at least prepared to do a lot of work and generally how to do well. Also I had decent writing skills which was nice. That being said, being in IB doesn't give you a magical advantage over people who didn't do the IB. But it's certainly better than not having taken any sort of college prep courses (honors classes, AP, etc).

College courses are a lot harder and demand more of you if you are attending a school that is at least half decent, and there's way less hand-holding and spoon-feeding of information than what you'll be used to, but any good school should at least ease the transition and not make things too difficult right away.

• Like 1

In some cases you may have an advantage by doing the IB, but it depends on the country you're doing it in, and the country where you're going to study. I'll put the example of myself in here - my national curriculum, which I would've had to take unless I'd taken the IB, is oriented towards acquiring information rather than developing skills needed for effective studying. With this background I'd have had problems adapting to studying in the UK later on, where a big emphasis is put on independent studying. The IB taught me how to manage time and do my research effectively.

And as Emmi said things such as report writing, referencing etc are also quite useful. And how was uni compared to IB? Definitely less stresfull... which in my case wasn't quite as good because I found it hard to motivate myself to study when not chalenged so intensively. It was harder to get a really decent grade than in IB (yes, it's possible), but it was way easier to pass with average grades.