Radians or degrees?

Baller97

Always use radians unless they say degrees. This can include their use of degrees in the question itself or clearly stating to give the answer in degrees. 

Although a lot of the times, the questions where radians are preferred, the markscheme will provide the degrees answer as well. But I would suggest keeping it simple and using radians. If you have a simple scientific calculator, I would suggest you take that with your graphing calculator for Paper 2 so that you don't have to waste time manually switching between radians and degrees

Edited by IbTrojan
  • Like 2

Hey guys,

so in the exam paper question (if not stated or shown), How do we know whether to use radians or degrees while using the calculator?

The question will usually state it, and if it's a graph of some sort you will be able to tell from the domain

• Like 1

In my school radians are preferred as it's natural angle unit and if it's in an equation you must use radians unless you make changes to equation, so at least if it's equation use radians.

If I was you I would ask my math teacher just to be sure.

Always use radians unless they say degrees. This can include their use of degrees in the question itself or clearly stating to give the answer in degrees. 

Although a lot of the times, the questions where radians are preferred, the markscheme will provide the degrees answer as well. But I would suggest keeping it simple and using radians. If you have a simple scientific calculator, I would suggest you take that with your graphing calculator for Paper 2 so that you don't have to waste time manually switching between radians and degrees

Hey guys,

so in the exam paper question (if not stated or shown), How do we know whether to use radians or degrees while using the calculator?

The question will usually state it, and if it's a graph of some sort you will be able to tell from the domain

Oh okay, thank youu! Do any of you know how to solve the question on this link? http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/34302-past-paper-question/ 

Got my maths paper tomorrow, and I'm having troubles with the same question :/

In my school radians are preferred as it's natural angle unit and if it's in an equation you must use radians unless you make changes to equation, so at least if it's equation use radians.

If I was you I would ask my math teacher just to be sure.

Hey guys,

Oh okay, thank youu! Do any of you know how to solve the question on this link? http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/34302-past-paper-question/ 

Got my maths paper tomorrow, and I'm having troubles with the same question :/

for a)i) you simply graph it on your calculator, and find the coordinates of the min and max points, as this is when the gradient is parallel to the x-axis. On a ti-nspire: Menu > Analyse Graph > Minimum (or max). Hence, x of P = -1.15 and x of Q=1.15..

Just noticed you asked for a)ii), haha, my bad

Edited by dorianb
  • Like 1