Math HL paper 1

Eid Jazairi

Math HL Paper 1  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How hard did you find the Math HL Paper 1?

• Super easy
    • Easier than expected, but challenging
    • Pretty hard!
    • I'm going to fail :(

It was a disaster! Holy broccoli it was crazy.

1. Time was Extremely limited. I needed a solid hour to attempt all questions to the extent of my knowledge. 
2. The questions weren't easy either! :( 

I probably left around 50-55 points untouched out of the 120.. assuming I get everything else correct (which I probably wont) it was still extremely difficult! 

Tell me how you guys did! Hopefully It didn't go as badly for you! 

• Like 1

It was a disaster! Holy broccoli it was crazy.

1. Time was Extremely limited. I needed a solid hour to attempt all questions to the extent of my knowledge. 

2. The questions weren't easy either! :(

I probably left around 50-55 points untouched out of the 120.. assuming I get everything else correct (which I probably wont) it was still extremely difficult! 

Tell me how you guys did! Hopefully It didn't go as badly for you! 

I feel the same exact way! I hope I got everything I did answer right, because I had at least 40-50 points off already from not getting to the problems...... Way harder (and definitely did worse) than any past paper 1 test I took for practice! Here's to hoping the other papers make up for it...  :truce:

• Like 1

I thought it was much easier than the level I had expected based on the mock exams we gave. I knew how to attempt the questions and got a lot of the answers. I'm pretty confident that I'll get 70+ which would be a dream come true anyway :) definitely not what I expected haha (obviously, there were challenging questions including some I couldn't complete but the day I completely understand the whole paper is never coming so I was happy). I'm just glad it's over :) 

• Like 1

Question to those of you in TZ2.. How did you manage to solve the polynomial with solutions in arithmetic sequences in Section B? I just kept getting a contradiction, Anyone else encounter this problem? I can post the solution and show that it is an invalid condition.

That freaking tanx integral man! I spent a good 10 minutes trying to solve it, then left it with just finding dx in terms of du lol. I also had problems with the complex number which I know is supposed to not be hard since its similar to cube roots of unity.. But man.. It completely went out of my head haha..

Other than that, I thought the exam was doable and the first 5 or six questions were pretty nice. Section B was cool, since they didn't throw in any terrible vector questions lol. 

• Like 3

I did TZ2 and  I left about 10 points untouched, overall I think I lost about 30. If I had a little more time, I could easily get 8 more marks. Generally, this paper could be considered friendly, if it wasn't for the 2 hours. At one point I totally panicked and in such condition it is difficult to arrive at a correct answer or even at an idea on how to solve a problem. However, I still don't lose my hopes for a 7, if the grade boundaries do not go up and provided that I did fine in other questions.

Edited by ordinaryguy

Question to those of you in TZ2.. How did you manage to solve the polynomial with solutions in arithmetic sequences in Section B? I just kept getting a contradiction, Anyone else encounter this problem? I can post the solution and show that it is an invalid condition.

OMG Really!? I wasted like so much time on that question! And after that i just gave up and moved on to the last part...

You're not alone.

Here is my solution:

Solution:

As i remember:
solutions a,b,c form an arithmetic sequence and
a + b + c = 6
ab + ac + bc = 18
abc = -6

so if we let b = u:
a = u-d
b = u
c = u+d
,where d is the common difference.

From plugging in to the first equation we get that

(u-d) + u + (u+d) = 6
3u = 6
u = 2 (this is confirmed in the condition, which asked to show that u=2)

For the common difference we plug into the second equation:

(2-d)*2 + (2-d)(2+d) + 2(2+d) = 18
4 - 2d + 4 - d^2 + 4 + 2d = 18
-d^2 = 18 - 12
d^2 = -6

which means the common difference is complex.
However, if we plug it in into the third equation:

(2-d)*2*(2+d) = -6

2*(4 - d^2) = -6
4 - d^2 = -3
d^2 = 7
then d = sqrt(7)
Edited by Whateverthis
  • Like 1

You're not alone.

Here is my solution:

Solution:

As i remember:
a + b + c = 6
ab + ac + bc = 18
abc = -6

so if we let b = u:
a = u-d
b = u
c = u+d

(u-d) + u + (u+d) = 6
3u = 6

-d^2 = 18 - 12
d^2 = -6

(2-d)*2*(2+d) = -6

2*(4 - d^2) = -6
4 - d^2 = -3
d^2 = 7
then d = sqrt(7)

Um, they asked you to find abc in the next question, it wasn't given. Only p and q were (6 and 18). I got an answer for that with no contradictions.

• Like 1

You're not alone.

Here is my solution:

Solution:

As i remember:
a + b + c = 6
ab + ac + bc = 18
abc = -6

so if we let b = u:
a = u-d
b = u
c = u+d

(u-d) + u + (u+d) = 6
3u = 6

-d^2 = 18 - 12
d^2 = -6

(2-d)*2*(2+d) = -6

2*(4 - d^2) = -6
4 - d^2 = -3
d^2 = 7
then d = sqrt(7)

Um, they asked you to find abc in the next question, it wasn't given. Only p and q were (6 and 18). I got an answer for that with no contradictions.

Well if you use the third equation, then you can get the answer. but try using the second one, with p = 18

Edited by Whateverthis

There was also the integral of: (sin x + cos x)/ (sin x- cos x) i got ln(sin x- cos x) is that right? used substitution. 

and for the last log question in section a what was the condition for the logarithmic function? 

Edited by mikigalli97

There was also the integral of: (sin x + cos x)/ (sin x- cos x) i got ln(sin x- cos x) is that right? used substitution. 

and for the last log question in section a what was the condition for the logarithmic function?

A not 0, not 1, not negative

TZ1
What was that probability question. 5 games, if lose 3 consecutively the coach is out. prob (win for a specific game) is 1/2 prob (draw) is 1/6, prob (lose) is 1/3. Results of one game independent of the others Find P (coach says bye bye)

I didn't get get it in the exam but after paper 2 i tried to solve it i got 21/243 (or 7/81)

There were like 20 answers among my grade