Math SL Paper 1!

Klauu

I was very pleased with the paper 1 examination; the section B questions seemed fairly straightforward, as well as those in section A. I managed to complete more or less all of the questions, but struggled with the question involving the products/sums of roots.

The integral involving the tangent substitution was tricky, I couldn't figure out how to arrange it only in terms of tangent, but had an epiphany in the last 10 minutes and managed to complete the question. 

My exam was for TZ2 and omg!!!! Some questions weren't to bad but the last question was such a pain, the probability one with the 10$ and winning... that one i coudnt figure out. I did write something involving the expected value so im hoping that i got some points. There was some other question i coudnt figure out, cant remember it. My brain is fried from paper 1 and 2. Cant wait to discuss paper 2 and omg chem exam tomorrow, time to study!

I actually solved it in a really simple way. I don't think I'll get full marks though. What I did was I thought about it as if she had played 10 times, then she would have paid $100 as it costs $10 to play. Because the chance of getting the black ball (the one she needed to get money back) was 0.4 it means she would have picked 4 black balls. Because it was a fair game, she would have got her $100 back from those 4 black balls which you can simply calculate by 100/4 = 25. So every time she picks a black ball, she gets $25. 

My exam was for TZ2 and omg!!!! Some questions weren't to bad but the last question was such a pain, the probability one with the 10$ and winning... that one i coudnt figure out. I did write something involving the expected value so im hoping that i got some points. There was some other question i coudnt figure out, cant remember it. My brain is fried from paper 1 and 2. Cant wait to discuss paper 2 and omg chem exam tomorrow, time to study!

I actually solved it in a really simple way. I don't think I'll get full marks though. What I did was I thought about it as if she had played 10 times, then she would have paid $100 as it costs $10 to play. Because the chance of getting the black ball (the one she needed to get money back) was 0.4 it means she would have picked 4 black balls. Because it was a fair game, she would have got her $100 back from those 4 black balls which you can simply calculate by 100/4 = 25. So every time she picks a black ball, she gets $25.

I got the same answer, but I have no idea how it can be worth 10 points!

I did TZ1. The majority of it was fairly easy for me, surprisingly.

....and then I got to question 10 and wanted to rip my exam paper. :help:

Did anybody in TZ1 get it? It was the one with Bob and Ann playing some stupid game with 8-sided dice. :dash:

I did as well, at least for a good five minutes of staring at the paper trying to figure what part e was asking

I did TZ2 and messed up the expectation question... I wrote that there was 0.4 chance of getting 0, and 0.6 for getting k dollars... if all of my working is correct, does this count as misread - will I lose only 1 mark of all of them?

I did TZ2 and messed up the expectation question... I wrote that there was 0.4 chance of getting 0, and 0.6 for getting k dollars... if all of my working is correct, does this count as misread - will I lose only 1 mark of all of them?

I did the exact same on accident. I was rushing it because I left it till the end, hope they do because I need those extra 1 or 2 marks. :)

what about the one of integrating lnx/x ? 

It was ( lnx^2 / 2 )

But like... that was something like integration by parts?

yes i guess, it was quite hard though, i missed out on the (/2) part of the answer because I didn't notice. I checked the answer after the exam and it was (lnx^2 / 2)

• Like 1

It was ( lnx^2 / 2 )

yes i guess, it was quite hard though, i missed out on the (/2) part of the answer because I didn't notice. I checked the answer after the exam and it was (lnx^2 / 2)

Did you use substitution method?

It was ( lnx^2 / 2 )

Did you use substitution method?

I used the chain rule in reverse... Because lnx/x is simplified to lnx * 1/x, and since the derivative of lnx is 1/x the 1/x must have come from the differentiation of lnx. Hence, if you take 1/2(lnx)^2, the chain rule will give you lnx/x... at least how I did it..

I think you get error carried forward or something

it was quotient rule

it was quotient rule

it was quotient rule

That's what I did. I got some rubbish answer though (I honestly don't remember what it was). But yeah (I am also TZ1).

it was quotient rule

it was quotient rule

That's what I did. I got some rubbish answer though (I honestly don't remember what it was). But yeah (I am also TZ1).

I used substitution, but I think I got the same answer :D 

Notice how both timezones had a tough probability question? :P

I wouldn't say our TZ2 was nearly as hard as TZ1. All we had to do was divide 2 numbers, and get the answer. It was recognizing that the question was a expected value question that made it confusing. TZ2's derivative and vector questions were the real challenges.

I had trouble with question 7, didn't knew what to do. Also with derivates I didn't knew that f^3 was the third derivate :/ so I did it like f(x)^3 haha what a shame. Vector was really easy to me but question 10 was like hell

Hahaha I did the same for f^3 and when i came out i was like *facepalm* thats like 4 marks bye-bye. Glad I wasnt the only one because i seriously thought the examiner was going to have a laugh when he/she saw that :P Rest of it went pretty well... I think I got everything including 10 but lets see :D