Frequently Tested Topics in Chem HL Exam?

survivorswaps

In paper 1 we will get questions from all the topics, but as I noticed there are more question in the organic chemistry than other topics. 

In paper 2, It is difficult to say which topics will come in section A, but you need to know topic 1 and the calculations. 

Good luck tomorrow :) 

• Like 2

It's true that paper 2 is less predictable than paper 1. However in last weeks I did more than 5 complete chemistry HL sets of exams and I noticed that they every year include reaction pathways from organic chemistry (quite complex ones), bond angles, calculation involvin ICE (initial, change, equilibrium concentration). When it comes to open questions in section B, at least in HL, one of the question if usually always from organic chemistry and one is from oxidation and redox. Often one is from chapter 5 as well.

I am not saying this is going to be the case but I saw this kind of pattern in past papers (at least I think).

I hope it will help :)

• Like 1

I'm gonna die tomorrow   :fail: . 

Apart from that was said above, another topic that comes up quite often (I think) is acids and bases calculations. For HL probably including weak acids and bases changes in pH. And Energetics.

• Like 1

I'm gonna die tomorrow   :fail: . 

Apart from that was said above, another topic that comes up quite often (I think) is acids and bases calculations. For HL probably including weak acids and bases changes in pH. And Energetics.

I feel you :/ I am not looking forward to this test... How hard will it be to get a 5/6 do y'all think? I really just want credit and to get my IB Diploma haha

You need more than 57% to get a 5. 

Tomorrow I am going to die, history and chemistry on the same day, is just the worse thing ever. !! 

more than a 57% in what?

In Chemistry, you need in total 57% in order to get a 5, ( 28 -33 in the IA), (44-54in paper 2), (27-31 in paper 3) and (30-33 in paper 1) 

• Like 1

My teacher stated that the first question of every paper two involves some sort of quantitative chemistry question. Kinetics, Energetics, and Organic Chemistry are 100% guaranteed. I think the rest are far game.

The last question of the multiple choice section is a lab, data based question. I noticed they like oxidation and reduction, entropy, and enthalpy as well. 

Edited by 2to10
  • Like 1

Question 1 on paper 2 is a data response question where you are given data from an experiment. It usually covers things like calculating number of moles, concentrations and uncertainties so make sure that you can do this. Also be very careful with significant figures as the mark scheme specifies that the answer must be the number of SF that are quoted in the question.

Other topics that come up frequently are:

Maxwell Boltzmann distribution curves

Calculating empirical formula

Enthalpy level diagrams

Drawing voltaic cells

Good luck everyone, don't forget to check out my videos for some last minute revision, especially for options B, E and F.

Edited by Msj Chem
  • Like 1

I really want to get a 6 D: unless the IB marks down my IAs then they are gonna help me (got almost full marks for all of them). But we haven't finished the course and I had to do organics on my own and I had some more problems with my teacher.