Math Studies prep for a horrible math student?

Aishah Harden

I'm very bad at math. In my school you can take mainstream math classes along with your Pre-IB ones until Grade 11 where you choose SL, HL, Studies.

Right now I'm in Grade 10/Sophomore year basic/mainstram math (Foundations of Pre Calculus) with ~70%.

How can I prepare for Math Studies over the summer? Does anyone have recommended books or rsources online or curriculum outlines. Thanks in advance.

This will probably be buried with IA stuff, I'm sorry I can't help with that but I'll be happy enough to fill out any questionaires or surveys in return for your advice.

Thanks!! :P

Well, I'm in Math SL, and I suck at math. First up, math studies has been described to me as "Baby Steps Maths". So provided you work regularly, it shouldn't be a problem. If you are really god damned cursed in math, I suggest 

(a) Doing a quick review of your sophomore math, so you go into class knowing something.

(b) Work when you get to class.

© If your really dedicated, and your school lets you borrow books over the summer, borrow any math studies book and work on the problems.

Thats what I'd do, but honestly, I dont think you need to worry overly much.

Hope this helps,

King112

the only thing you need to know how to do to succeed in math studies is understand how to use your calculator. once you have done this, you will get atleast a 4 no question because your calculator does statistics, graphing, solving equations etc. like really calculator is a godsend in math studies

i think that in studies you can get a 4-5 with only calculator knowledge, a 6 with calculator knowledge and good understanding of concepts, and a 7 with the prior mentioned and some critical thinking ability

honestly i disagree with king saying studies is baby steps maths because i know people struggling in maths and depending on your knowledge prior to the course, some of the work can be hard. that being said, topic 1 is about number properties or something where you learn how to do addition and subtraction and multiplication and division so you do definitely get eased into the course

• Like 1

honestly i disagree with king saying studies is baby steps maths because i know people struggling in maths and depending on your knowledge prior to the course, some of the work can be hard. that being said, topic 1 is about number properties or something where you learn how to do addition and subtraction and multiplication and division so you do definitely get eased into the course

I didn't mean to sound offensive. I apologise if I did. I was just repeating what my friends in studies told me, thats all.

• Like 1

I was in the same boat. In Year 10 Pre-IB we adid all the subjects as SL, and I failed completely at Maths. I ended up getting an E every term, so obviously going into Year 11 I've chosen Maths Studies.

Honestly the best thing you can do to prepare for Studies is to work ahead of your schedule. For example, if you are going to be doing Chapter 1 in first term, work ahead and start looking at Chapter 1 before you actually start it. That way, when you are actually studying that chapter, you will have had a chance to look over and understand the work.

I hope this helped, and good luck :)