What happens if i dont quote any historians in paper 2/3?

Our teacher never told us we were supposed to know historians' views on topics to quote. So i have no historians in mind that i could use, all of my essay would just be my own knowledge.

What happens if i dont include any of that? I've seen people say that historiography (?) is really important for essays, and quoting historians and their views. But i mean, most of my knowledge comes from CrashCourse, i doubt i can quote John Green as a historian.

Essays on Paper 2 and Paper 3 mostly rely on your knowledge. Historiography can be helpful to get extra marks and to distinguish yourself from other candidates, although knowledge is more important than historiography. If you use purely your knowledge, you'll do fine. However, someone who only relies on historiography does not have a chance for a good grade from their essay. You'll be fine, just write a good essay with many notions and that is suitable enough for high grades. 

Edited by rizz.

my ib history teacher, (she's also the IB coordinator in our school), told us the maxim level you can get without using historians is a level 5. 

I'm in HL though, so i i'm not sure about SL (for those taking it) cause we have a different mark band.

Edited by rhatesib

For SL, your essay may be perfect but if you don´t mention at least one historian you can´t get a 7. However you shouldn´t mention random historiography, this is seen as something bad and evaluators dont´t like it...If they think you are forcing a quote they won´t like it.

Well you don't have to be able to quote historians' viewpoints. You can paraphrase their perspectives (as far as I know) so it is coherent with your argument or however else you may be using it.

As everyone above has mentioned, to get full marks IB looks for historiography. But rest assured that you should still do well if you've provided sufficient evidence to IB that you understand what you're writing, and that you've written your papers well. 

Well my history teacher was just talking to the 12th graders the other day and he mentioned to us that while it is good, that is definitely possible to score a 7 without a historian's view in the essay (and I do find him a very reliable source).