Sign in to follow this  

Help needed for Economics EE!

Hi. I need some help for my Extended essay which I am doing in Economics. I have the course in HL so I do have more insight on the syllabus than SL students. Anyways my topic is about Alcohol in Sweden. For those that don't know alcohol is sold here by a government owned monopoly called Systembolaget and it is pretty much the only place you can buy alcohol from. So I kinda wanted to ask for help with where to take this topic because I know that is is most advised to keep it local and I did but I have no research question and I don't know how to move on from here. So can anyone suggest anything to help me out?

I would appreciate it! 

Hi. I need some help for my Extended essay which I am doing in Economics. I have the course in HL so I do have more insight on the syllabus than SL students. Anyways my topic is about Alcohol in Sweden. For those that don't know alcohol is sold here by a government owned monopoly called Systembolaget and it is pretty much the only place you can buy alcohol from. So I kinda wanted to ask for help with where to take this topic because I know that is is most advised to keep it local and I did but I have no research question and I don't know how to move on from here. So can anyone suggest anything to help me out?

I would appreciate it! 

Collecting primary data would be good if you can do so :) depending on what your research question is aimed at...

You could probably explore whether its the best market structure for this particular industry or not... And maybe compare it to one more country where alcohol isn't sold by the government and compare effects on public, quantity sold etc. etc...

Idk just an opinion :)

I am from Finland but isn't it so that Systembolaget only has monopoly on drinks containing more than 3.9% alcohol or so? Because normal beer and cider can be bought in almost any shop?

Hey :)

Some people might argue that government intervention is the best way to increase society's well being and to maximize the efficiency of the allocation of the resources in a given economy. You could maybe test that hypothesis. For example if we assume that the Swedish government decided to monopolize the market of alcohol in Sweden in order to reduce the negative externalities caused by the consumption of alcohol, you could try to analyze the extent to which the policy was efficient by examining its effects on the different stakeholders before and after its application. If you include market failures and some theory of the firm, you could find a very interesting RQ. Make sure that you're going to be able to find relevant data though.

Good luck. ^_^

Best,

Youss

• Like 1

Your main topic could be market failure as the govt. owned distributor is essentially government intervention. You can talk about many other things such as theory of the firm (monopoly structure), efficiency, government intervention, etc. 

It was mentioned above that collecting primary data would help, you must collect primary data (and combine it with secondary data to have sufficient data for analysis and evaluation) to meet one of the criteria's of an economics extended essay. 

• Like 1

You could probably explore whether its the best market structure for this particular industry or not... And maybe compare it to one more country where alcohol isn't sold by the government and compare effects on public, quantity sold etc. etc...

Idk just an opinion :)

I wanted to compare it to another country but I think I would need to step into International and we will cover that part of the syllabus next year 

I am from Finland but isn't it so that Systembolaget only has monopoly on drinks containing more than 3.9% alcohol or so? Because normal beer and cider can be bought in almost any shop?

yes that it case :)  And what I wanted to look at is alcohol sold by Systemet only. 

Edited by Mariam Soumi

Hey :)

Some people might argue that government intervention is the best way to increase society's well being and to maximize the efficiency of the allocation of the resources in a given economy. You could maybe test that hypothesis. For example if we assume that the Swedish government decided to monopolize the market of alcohol in Sweden in order to reduce the negative externalities caused by the consumption of alcohol, you could try to analyze the extent to which the policy was efficient by examining its effects on the different stakeholders before and after its application. If you include market failures and some theory of the firm, you could find a very interesting RQ. Make sure that you're going to be able to find relevant data though.

Good luck. ^_^

Best,

Youss

Well Systembolaget has been a monopoly in Sweden since 1955 so I don't think it would be a good idea to compare the effects on the stakeholders (since I would dig into very old material). But the whole externalities idea is pretty good and might help me form an RQ :)

Your main topic could be market failure as the govt. owned distributor is essentially government intervention. You can talk about many other things such as theory of the firm (monopoly structure), efficiency, government intervention, etc. 

It was mentioned above that collecting primary data would help, you must collect primary data (and combine it with secondary data to have sufficient data for analysis and evaluation) to meet one of the criteria's of an economics extended essay. 

Yes I am aware of having to collect both primary and secondary data but thanks for the idea about market failure. I wasn't quite thinking about it :)