EE - Word Count

mr_awesome

Hi All,

Is there an accurate, quick and easy way to count the number of words you have in your EE without the in-text citations and elements that do not contribute to the total word count?

(Other than deleting each citation of course)

Thank You.

I just took the total word count.. scrolled right to the top and began highlighting what's not included in the word count with a calculator in my hand ;p

• Like 1

Hi All,

Is there an accurate, quick and easy way to count the number of words you have in your EE without the in-text citations and elements that do not contribute to the total word count?

Thank You.

Baller & mechnight showed you the classic way for doing this, which I also use all the time. However, if you'd like the technology to do the job for you, then here is the way to do it in Microsoft Word:

EDIT: Stuff that I wrote before wasn't strictly right. So here is the corrected version:

1. Go through your documents one more time and highlight all your citations that you want to exclude from the word count
  2. Click the "Font" extension on Word's Home tab, and put a tick in the "Hidden" box.
  3. Click the "File" button on the top-left corner (or if you're using Word 2007, it would be the Big Office Button), and choose "Word Option". Then go to "Display", and put a tick on "Show Hidden Text" box.
  4. Use your word count again and you'll see the amazing changes. This method works because Microsoft Word doesn't count any hidden texts into the wordcount, but it can still show those hidden texts.

Now, note that those hidden texts will be hidden if you send the file to another computer, or when you save it as a pdf file, or when you want to print it out on papers. The way to get around this problem is that when you are absolutely done with your essay and you want to send it to someone else, print it out, or save as pdf, all you need to do is to create an exact copy of this file. And in that copy, highlight the whole document (by clicking Ctrl + A), then click the "Font" extension on Word's Home tab, and remove the tick on the "Hidden" box.

Feel free to ask if you have any problems when using this method :)

Edited by Vioh
  • Like 1

Hi All,

Thank You.

Baller & mechnight showed you the classic way for doing this, which I also use all the time. However, if you'd like the technology to do the job for you, then here is the way to do it in Microsoft Word:

1. Go through your documents one more time and highlight all your citations that you want to exclude from the word count
  2. Click the "Font" extension on Word's Home tab, and put a tick in the "Hidden" box.
  3. Click the "File" button on the top-left corner (or if you're using Word 2007, it would be the Big Office Button), and choose "Word Option". Then go to "Display", and put a tick on "Show Hidden Text" box as well as the "Print Hidden Text" box
  4. Use your word count again and you'll see the amazing changes. This method works because Microsoft Word doesn't count any hidden texts into the wordcount, but it can still show & print those hidden texts

Yep, same. :D I think that's actually the best thing to do, because you don't rely on someone else's brain with your essay :P This is especially important if you're close to the wordcount. :D

Hi All,

Thank You.

I just took the total word count.. scrolled right to the top and began highlighting what's not included in the word count with a calculator in my hand ;p

Thank You All for your help! really appreciate it! I'll probably stick to counting just to make sure my final word count is under 4k, don't want to loose 4 marks because of it. 

• Like 1