Difference between good and bad TOK essays

indimpi

Hi!

I am a student in IB1, and we have a mock ToK essay due soon. I have pretty much finished it, however I had some questions with regards to the difference between good and bad ToK essays. I have looked at examples that have gotten A's and D's respectively, however, I honestly did not find a major difference between these examples in terms of content. Is there something specific that distinguishes a good from a poor essay. 

Also, I was wondering if it was ok to only have one KQ stated along with the title of the essay, and only discuss 3 AoK's?

Thank you in advance for any help! :)

I guess you can tell the difference when you check the marking criteria. Both of the essays may make sense and provide enough arguments but if it's not following the criteria, it's not a TOK essay.

One KQ should be just fine. I mean, if that's going to help guide your essay, it's up to you.

• Like 1

A good TOK essay will consist of a detailed analysis of the KQ (the examples should be used to support your analysis, they should NOT guide your analysis i.e. they shouldn't be your main focus rather the claim and counter-claim should be) - the claim and counter-claim are relevant and bring about a good argument. Implications (related to the KQs) and different perspectives should be explored. 

Structure: One KQ for a TOK essay will definitely not suffice, you need to have a minimum of two KQ and a max of 3. The number of WOKs and AOKs you include in your analysis is entirely dependent on the title as well as your KQ. For example if the title is ''Explore the extent to which the WOKs affect our ability to make ethical considerations'', then you'd extract 2-3 KQs that are relevant to the title and you'd focus each KQ on a WOK - you can bring in a different AOK (if you want to) for each of your claims and counter-claims. 

• Like 1

Hi! I have already handed my essay in, so unfortunately I cannot change it now. However, I did consider some other knowledge issues other than the one in my KQ, so hopefully that will suffice. Thank both of you for an elaborate answer :)