SL Chemistry Paper 1

IbTrojan

Found it REALLY easy lol. Everybody was complaining that it was hard...

Only thing that I messed up on was

"Which of these could form a dative covalent bond"

a) CH4 + NH3

b) ?

c) NH3 and HF

d) ?

I knew it wasn't b or d so I went with a but the answer was c. 

And I messed up on the redox question. I totally forgot that Cu can ONLY have a charge of +2 and +3 :/

2 I got wrong for sure. Everything else seemed right. :P

a) CH4 + NH3

b) ?

c) NH3 and HF

d) ?

And I messed up on the redox question. I totally forgot that Cu can ONLY have a charge of +2 and +3 :/

I don't know if HL and SL are the same, but I chose C because CH4 didn't have lone pairs, which is essential in dative bonds.I wasn't sure about question 2, I believe, which asked about which solution had the most concentration of Cl. I think I put D for that. What was the answer to the redox question?

Edited by 2to10

a) CH4 + NH3

b) ?

c) NH3 and HF

d) ?

I don't know if HL and SL are the same, but I chose C because CH4 didn't have lone pairs, which is essential in dative bonds.I wasn't sure about question 2, I believe, which asked about which solution had the most concentration of Cl. I think I put D for that. What was the answer to the redox question?

I put D as well and so did lots of people I asked. 

And the answer was C but I did B. :/ (Wrote C at first and erased it and went with B).

What was the answer to the one with Si bond shapes?

Silicon Dioxide was tetrahedral thats all i remember haha

They're both in a tetrahedral arrangement. When you draw them out, they look like they're not, but they are :P

yeah now i remember i had put tetrahedral for both, its funny becuase this kid kept drawing out SiO2 as a linear molecule to annoy our teacher (weird kids in my class) but anyway the fact that he drew it wrong so many times stuck in my head  :D

Edited by tybchavez

What was the answer to the one with Si bond shapes?

Silicon Dioxide was tetrahedral thats all i remember haha

They're both in a tetrahedral arrangement. When you draw them out, they look like they're not, but they are :P

yeah now i remember i had put tetrahedral for both, its funny becuase this kid kept drawing out SiO2 as a linear molecule to annoy our teacher (weird kids in my class) but anyway the fact that he drew it wrong so many times stuck in my head  :D

Haha they don't look like AX4 when you draw them out. Most people don't realize that it's a macromolecule and isn't AX2. But yeah I got that wrong on a practice exam so it stuck with me :') (our teacher didn't go over SiO2 and stuff :/)

Hey guys! I was in TZ2 and there was one question that I was actually surprised to see. It was q. 29 and it was the voltaic cell one in which the question simply gave the two metals that were used in the electrical current: iron and copper. The reason I was surprised was that question did not say which metal is reduced and which one is oxidized nor did it give any hints about which way electrons were moving in the voltaic cell. So this basically meant that we were supposed to know, from memory I suppose, that iron is more reactive than copper and that iron will be oxidized at the anode and etc... But doesn't the SL syllabus specifically say that we do not need to know the reactivity series of metals? Anyway, other than that question, paper 1 for TZ2 SL was alright.