SL Chemistry Paper 2

IbTrojan

I'm TZ2. part A was actually quite good. The only thing we had to calculate was enthalpy change and the amount of HCl needed to neutralize 25cm3 of NaOH?

I did question 5 for section B. God bless equilibrium! They had equilibrium this year and I couldnt be any happier.

I was debating between organics and equilibrium though. To my surprise, organics section B this year didn't ask to draw the nucleophilic substitution.

• Like 1

I'm TZ2. part A was actually quite good. The only thing we had to calculate was enthalpy change and the amount of HCl needed to neutralize 25cm3 of NaOH?

I did question 5 for section B. God bless equilibrium! They had equilibrium this year and I couldnt be any happier.

I was debating between organics and equilibrium though. To my surprise, organics section B this year didn't ask to draw the nucleophilic substitution.

hey you got 25cm3 to neutralize? I got 30... btw what was your percentage error? Was it around 70%? Also was your temperature change 5.2 celcius?  

• Like 1

I got 27 cm3. I drew the lines like this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/46/Aaaathermo_fig2.jpg

but Im not sure if its correct. 

Well do you think there are Follow Through marks if we did the first parts of this question incorectly? Coz Im sure I misread the delta temperature... (I didnt draw a line parallel to x-axix at the poinf of interesction)

I also did question 5. Section B was quite easy, Id say.  The beginning was a bit terrifying. 

One more thing!  When you were using the formula q = mct, what did you put for m?  The masses used in the whole experiment, overall? (25 + 50 = 75cm3)  Or only the masses added up to a point of neutralisation (eg. 25cm3 + 27cm3 = 52 cm3) ? 

And what number of moles should be used in calculating delta H?  the number of moles of either NaOH or HCl or maybe the sum of the moles? :D I dunno!! I used only moles of one of them, which was I believe 0.0250 (the moles were identical for NaOH and HCl anyways)

Edited by caroline owly

One more thing!  When you were using the formula q = mct, what did you put for m?  The masses used in the whole experiment, overall? (25 + 50 = 75cm3)  Or only the masses added up to a point of neutralisation (eg. 25cm3 + 27cm3 = 52 cm3) ? 

And what number of moles should be used in calculating delta H?  the number of moles of either NaOH or NaCl or maybe the sum of the moles? :D I dunno!! I used only moles of one of them, which was I believe 0.0250 (the moles were identical for NaOH and NaCl anyways)

what was the concentration of HCL? was it 0.5 mol dm-3?

I was in TZ2 and I feel pretty confident about this years paper. The first question tough, like almost always, was a little tricky. I said that the amount of HCL needed to neutralize the base was 30.0 cm^3, that the amount of moles of it was something like 0.0250 (or maybe it was 0.00250 can't remember), the temperature change was 5.2 C, and that the enthalpy change per mole was -48 KJ per mol. This gave me a percentage error of 17 percent. No idea if I did it correctly though. Does anyone know how you were actually supposed to do it? But I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of points available for errors carried over even if I messed up somewhere in the calculations. 

Everything else was aight. I did question 5 in section B and it felt breezy. Cheers!