SL Chem P3

Eid Jazairi

How did you guys do? I took Biochem and Environmental? I found it ridiculously easy.. 

Biochem Qs: 

Do you guys remember which groups were present in the cholesterol and aldestrone and which were only present in the aldestrone? or where the aldestrone is produced?
What about ways to avoid food deficiency? and what were Benefits of the Linolenic acid?
What did you get for the Iodine number?

Environmental Qs:

Does VOC count as a greenhouse gas?
What were the Anaerobic and Aerobic elements you put? (I had Nh2/H2S and No2/So2) I think only my H2S was right.. Don't know why I screwed up that one.. 

1. cholesterol and aldestrone both contain ketones and aldehydes... silly me i thought it was ketone and ester only to realise its not afterwards but wtv

2. avoid food deficiency i wrote genetically modified food and supplements

3. benefits of linolenic acid would be prevent heart attack and prevent stroke. you could write sth like reduces blood pressure or sth like that

4. i got 1 iodine number which is probably wrong

For Human Biochem:

1. Groups present in both cholesterol and aldosterone: alkene and alcohol

Groups present only in aldosterone: ketone and aldehyde

The aldosterone is produced in the adrenal gland, but I only realized that after coming out of the exams ... who would've thought we would have to memorize these minute details?

2. Wrote about fortification of staple foods and GM food

3. Preventing stroke, blah blah

4. Made a silly mistake here - I used 2 C=C bonds but it should've been 3, so I got a number that was smaller than it should be (91 something). The correct answer is somewhere about 100 if I'm not mistaken

The answer is at a pretty 273! Remember that the Molecular mass is of Inot I.. so instead of (126.9) you have to multiply it with 2 and Then multiply it with 3 for the number of bonds, you get a nice 761.4 .. change that into 100g of the linolenic acid and you'll get a 273 iodine number :)

The answer is at a pretty 273! Remember that the Molecular mass is of Inot I.. so instead of (126.9) you have to multiply it with 2 and Then multiply it with 3 for the number of bonds, you get a nice 761.4 .. change that into 100g of the linolenic acid and you'll get a 273 iodine number :)

Ah I see, thanks! I really should've practiced more iodine number questions :P

Well looking at these country flags, you all are from TZ2. Welcome from TZ1!

I also did options B and E.

We didn't have to specifically say anything about examples of greenhouse gases, we just had to explain mechanism. However, we had a tricky question about an absorption spectrum where at 3.5 * 10^-13 Hz a greenhouse gas is best absorbed. Is this supposed to be NO3, or was I just really off.

I guess other things in this section was necessary knowledge of structural changes between progesterone and estrogen.

Also, for Option E it was pure theoretical. No chemical equations at all, just had to analyse a river oxygen demand, and frankly, oxygen demand was a theme of like 75% of the questions. 

Well looking at these country flags, you all are from TZ2. Welcome from TZ1!

I also did options B and E.

We didn't have to specifically say anything about examples of greenhouse gases, we just had to explain mechanism. However, we had a tricky question about an absorption spectrum where at 3.5 * 10^-13 Hz a greenhouse gas is best absorbed. Is this supposed to be NO3, or was I just really off.

I guess other things in this section was necessary knowledge of structural changes between progesterone and estrogen.

Also, for Option E it was pure theoretical. No chemical equations at all, just had to analyse a river oxygen demand, and frankly, oxygen demand was a theme of like 75% of the questions. 

I think they were looking for N2O; that's the greenhouse gas specifically mentioned, as an oxide of nitrogen, in the syllabus.