HL Chemistry Paper 3

Baller97

I'm from TZ1 and I chose options D (Medicines and Drugs) and F (Food Chemistry). For the most part, it was fairly straightforward and did not really have any calculations or data analysis, so it was basically straight up memorization. I thought paper 3 went the best out of all the HL Chem papers. Paper 1 was tricky and paper 2 was just as bad if not worse, so I was really relieved after I wrote paper 3. Hopefully it will bring my mark up! 

• Like 2

Hey guys, found this one pretty good but I crammed my ass off the night before, I knew I needed to after paper 1 and 2. I did options A and G. Can any of you remember what you got as structure C on the last question? Product of acyl chloride and hydroxycarboxylic acid? Allegedly it was an ester but I managed to manufacture an acid anhydride, just wondering if anybody else did that too?

I did option B and F.

For Option B, the 2nd question left me a bit confused as i did not recall the Rf value of chromatography being mentioned in the syllabus (especially to calculate it)..And the only thing that Option B mentioned about Rf in the book was that "it can be calculated and hence, the amino acids can be compared" or something like that...... Chromatography and Rf as such are parts of Option A..... So why was it here, if the book and syllabus did not urge me to know it? (Yes i know its apparently just a simple division, and a 1 point question, but....)

I did options D and E, TZ1. Most of it was pretty easy and like you guys said, such a relief after Papers 1 and 2! There were a few odd questions though, like the one about the chemical composition of a virus? I had no idea and just talked about its size and function relative to bacteria. 

I did options D and E, TZ1. Most of it was pretty easy and like you guys said, such a relief after Papers 1 and 2! There were a few odd questions though, like the one about the chemical composition of a virus? I had no idea and just talked about its size and function relative to bacteria. 

What i put which i think is correct was to say that it was just RNA surrounded by a capsid or protein shell. Our notes packet had a nice chart comparing both so thats what i put.

• Like 1

Hey guys, found this one pretty good but I crammed my ass off the night before, I knew I needed to after paper 1 and 2. I did options A and G. Can any of you remember what you got as structure C on the last question? Product of acyl chloride and hydroxycarboxylic acid? Allegedly it was an ester but I managed to manufacture an acid anhydride, just wondering if anybody else did that too?

I think it's an acid anhydride after the exam, however I wrote ester during the exam:/

• Like 1

How does the HL chem Paper 3 work?

What do you mean by hoe does it work? Do you mean selecting the options you are going to do or..? 

Yeah, because do you guys do more options?

Well i take SL and i only did 2 options, im not sure if HL has to do more options.

TZ1
Completely agree with Yashvi that P3 is best of all chem papers.

I did B and G.
I (tried) to memorize a lot of stuff for B, like the deficiency of micronutrients and the diseases, and how electrophoresis works. But no B (biochem) was pretty straight forward and was very application-focused than some previous papers I saw. I was very happy because i don't enjoy memorization. 

How does the HL chem Paper 3 work?

What do you mean by hoe does it work? Do you mean selecting the options you are going to do or..? 

Yeah, because do you guys do more options?

Well i take SL and i only did 2 options, im not sure if HL has to do more options.

Same, so I was wondering what the difference was. All i know for sure is that for HL you have to pick two questions in Paper 2

I'm in TZ1 and I did Option D (Medicines and Drugs) and Option E (Environmental). Overall, I thought the questions were fair and didn't require a ridiculous amount of knowledge. But I did get stumped on the environmental problem that showed the light absorption for a nitrogen oxide at different wavelengths and asked to identify it. I had absolutely no idea how to do it, and the only thing I could find in the data booklet that seemed relevant about wavenumbers didn't have an option for an NO bond. Looking through the book I honestly can't find how to solve this anywhere except in Modern Analytical Chemistry. Anybody know where in the environmental section this problem is discussed?

For Option B
Do you guys remember which groups were present in the cholesterol and aldestrone and which were only present in the aldestrone?
or where the aldestrone is produced?

What about ways to avoid food deficiency?
and what were Benefits of the Linolenic acid?

What did you get for the Iodine number?

For Option B

Do you guys remember which groups were present in the cholesterol and aldestrone and which were only present in the aldestrone?

or where the aldestrone is produced?

What about ways to avoid food deficiency?

and what were Benefits of the Linolenic acid?

What did you get for the Iodine number?

Thats what I wrote:

Similar: alkene, alcohol

Difference (only in aldosterone): ketone, aldehyde 

Produced in adernal cortex.

Ways to avoid food deficiency: Add nutrients in food production process, genetically modifiy food etc.

Benefits: lower level of low density lipoprotein, thus lower risk of cardiovascular disease

Iodine number: 273

• Like 1