HL Chemistry Paper 3

Baller97

Hey guys, found this one pretty good but I crammed my ass off the night before, I knew I needed to after paper 1 and 2. I did options A and G. Can any of you remember what you got as structure C on the last question? Product of acyl chloride and hydroxycarboxylic acid? Allegedly it was an ester but I managed to manufacture an acid anhydride, just wondering if anybody else did that too?

Wait you're right. I wrote ester but now that I think about it, that does make an acid anhydride. Oh well :P I think they'd give a mark for ester though? Because the ester linkage (COOC) is still there

• Like 1

Hey guys, found this one pretty good but I crammed my ass off the night before, I knew I needed to after paper 1 and 2. I did options A and G. Can any of you remember what you got as structure C on the last question? Product of acyl chloride and hydroxycarboxylic acid? Allegedly it was an ester but I managed to manufacture an acid anhydride, just wondering if anybody else did that too?

I think it's an acid anhydride after the exam, however I wrote ester during the exam:/

Yeah I think he's right :( I wrote ester too but now that I think about, acyl chlorides and alcohols should give you an ester. 

I did Option D and G (TZ2) and I thought it was brilliant :)

• Like 3

For anyone who did Option E (Environmental) Can you tell me what are the two factors that affect the greenhouse ratio of a gas relative to Carbon dioxide. I wrote the natural frequency of the bonds and the time period they spend in the atmosphere. 

For anyone who did Option E (Environmental) Can you tell me what are the two factors that affect the greenhouse ratio of a gas relative to Carbon dioxide. I wrote the natural frequency of the bonds and the time period they spend in the atmosphere. 

I believe the two factors are the greenhouse gas' relative abundance, and its greenhouse factor. 

Options D and E, TZ2, were fantastic. Really got my head off that P1 debacle. 

• Like 1

Wait you're right. I wrote ester but now that I think about it, that does make an acid anhydride. Oh well :P I think they'd give a mark for ester though? Because the ester linkage (COOC) is still there

I hope they will give a mark for both! It was an odd question I thought, slightly beyond the syllabus and difficult because you could attack two different OH groups. Oh well, only 1 mark :)

I wrote relative abundance and potency at absorbing infrared. 

I'm in TZ1 and I did Option D (Medicines and Drugs) and Option E (Environmental). Overall, I thought the questions were fair and didn't require a ridiculous amount of knowledge. But I did get stumped on the environmental problem that showed the light absorption for a nitrogen oxide at different wavelengths and asked to identify it. I had absolutely no idea how to do it, and the only thing I could find in the data booklet that seemed relevant about wavenumbers didn't have an option for an NO bond. Looking through the book I honestly can't find how to solve this anywhere except in Modern Analytical Chemistry. Anybody know where in the environmental section this problem is discussed?

What exactly were you asked to identify?

For option B, it was one question about testosterone and progesterone, they asked only to write the role of one of them right? o.O

I suppose it ask the function of these type of hormones

What do you mean these types of hormones? 

How does the HL chem Paper 3 work?

What do you mean by hoe does it work? Do you mean selecting the options you are going to do or..? 

Yeah, because do you guys do more options?

Well i take SL and i only did 2 options, im not sure if HL has to do more options.

Same, so I was wondering what the difference was. All i know for sure is that for HL you have to pick two questions in Paper 2

Hi there! The differences of Chem HL and SL are the following:

(except for the extra syllabus of each chapter of course)

Paper 1: 40 questions instead of 30

Paper 2: As mentioned, 2 questions of section B

Paper 3: We have as well two options but with extra syllabus

• Like 1

For option B, it was one question about testosterone and progesterone, they asked only to write the role of one of them right? o.O

As from the IB Chem textbook, these are called sex hormones and role is stimulate secondary sexual characteristics development.

Edited by ketone

They asked what is the main function of these two hormones in the body.

Natural frequency is physics not chemistry, right?

Natural frequency is physics not chemistry, right?

That's how they said it in Pearson. The natural frequency of the bonds determines the wavelength it absorbs. 

• Like 1

What did you guys write on the question 1 in section B tz2? i think it was the question about how the amino acid is prepared for the chromatography or something like that? 

something like hydrolys it with HCl and heat. 

They asked what is the main function of these two hormones in the body.

I must have misunderstood the question, because I thought they asked to describe the main function of progesterone OR testosterone. I remember the word "or" because I even underlined it, but maybe the question refered to both of them, damn it!