HL Chemistry Paper 3

Baller97

For option B, it was one question about testosterone and progesterone, they asked only to write the role of one of them right? o.O

I suppose it ask the function of these type of hormones

What do you mean these types of hormones? 

They asked what is the main function of these two hormones in the body.

I must have misunderstood the question, because I thought they asked to describe the main function of progesterone OR testosterone. I remember the word "or" because I even underlined it, but maybe the question refered to both of them, damn it! 

or maybe they have asked only for the one of them... I am not sure now... was it for 1 or 2 points? 

For option B, it was one question about testosterone and progesterone, they asked only to write the role of one of them right? o.O

I must have misunderstood the question, because I thought they asked to describe the main function of progesterone OR testosterone. I remember the word "or" because I even underlined it, but maybe the question refered to both of them, damn it! 

or maybe they have asked only for the one of them... I am not sure now... was it for 1 or 2 points? 

1 point :) 

and what did you write about the question of nurtients deficiency? i dont remember what was exactly the question about but i remember i put genetically modify food and i wanted add ' add nutritional supplement' but this was given in the statement above the question so i was confused...

and what did you write about the question of nurtients deficiency? i dont remember what was exactly the question about but i remember i put genetically modify food and i wanted add ' add nutritional supplement' but this was given in the statement above the question so i was confused...

I wrote GMO too and I also wrote that add to commonly consumed foods such as adding iodine to table salt :) But yeah it was confusing because two things were already given O.o What did you write about the DNA one strand question and enzyme mechanism?

And differece between inorganic and organic catalysts? I wrote something that organic catalysts are more sensitive to environmental changes and that they speed up the rate of reaction much more than inorganic ones. 

And differece between inorganic and organic catalysts? I wrote something that organic catalysts are more sensitive to environmental changes and that they speed up the rate of reaction much more than inorganic ones. 

Abou inorganic and organic  catalyst i know that they speed up the reaction both and that they both lower the acivation energy. the difference is that the enzyme is denaturated over high temperatures and inorganic catalyst can work in high temperatures with no problem and that the catalyst is specific for some substraes and inorganic catalyst is not. 

but there were many different comparisons still.

about DNA strand I didnt know what to write so i just wrote about phosphate pentose and nitogenous base and what bonds link them, thats all and that the phosphate group of one nucleotide is bonded covalently to C3 of pentose sugar of the other nucleotide, how the strand work.

I dont remeber the question about enzyme...

Don't worry! The exact wording of the question was as following: 

"Progestrone and Testosterone are other steroid hormones produced from cholesterol. Outline a function of Progestrone OR testosterone in the human body. "

Your welcome! I didn't realise the or until later.. so I wrote both functions, no harm no foul! :D 

• Like 1

Don't worry! The exact wording of the question was as following: 

"Progestrone and Testosterone are other steroid hormones produced from cholesterol. Outline a function of Progestrone OR testosterone in the human body. "

Your welcome! I didn't realise the or until later.. so I wrote both functions, no harm no foul! :D

THANK YOU!!! MADE MY DAY! 

TZ2 - I did Option B and D...

but I left the whole last page of Option D because I didn't realise and only noticed when I had 2 minutes remaining... :( I feel so stupid, especially since I knew the answers to all and studied so hard for it....

Guess there's nothing I can do now, but if there's someone who did the same pls tell me so we can comfort each other! 

Also do you think I'll lose a 7 bc of that? 

but I left the whole last page of Option D because I didn't realise and only noticed when I had 2 minutes remaining... :( I feel so stupid, especially since I knew the answers to all and studied so hard for it....

Guess there's nothing I can do now, but if there's someone who did the same pls tell me so we can comfort each other! 

What were the questions again? Like the questions you didnt have time to do?

I'm in TZ1 and I did Option D (Medicines and Drugs) and Option E (Environmental). Overall, I thought the questions were fair and didn't require a ridiculous amount of knowledge. But I did get stumped on the environmental problem that showed the light absorption for a nitrogen oxide at different wavelengths and asked to identify it. I had absolutely no idea how to do it, and the only thing I could find in the data booklet that seemed relevant about wavenumbers didn't have an option for an NO bond. Looking through the book I honestly can't find how to solve this anywhere except in Modern Analytical Chemistry. Anybody know where in the environmental section this problem is discussed?

What exactly were you asked to identify?

From what I can remember of the question, it stated that the light absorption chart (or something along those lines) belonged to a nitrogen oxide, NxOy. It had frequency on the x-axis and had arbitrary units of something on the y-axis. The wavelength where the graph peaked was in infrared, and from there it just asked to give the identity of the nitrogen oxide. I just guessed N2O because the next question dealt with its environmental impact relative to CO2 and N2O was the only one I remembered from the chart of greenhouse gases, so I figured I might get follow through points for the second part. 

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the question about ripe strawberries and flavylium? What was the correct response for this question?

Yeah, that was an unexpected one! I wrote something about more conjugation and how that leads to the absorption of shorter wavelengths/reflection of longer wavelengths. I don't know if it's right but hopefully I got a mark for mentioning the conjugation part because I'm sure it has something to do with it!

I'm in TZ1 and I did Option D (Medicines and Drugs) and Option E (Environmental). Overall, I thought the questions were fair and didn't require a ridiculous amount of knowledge. But I did get stumped on the environmental problem that showed the light absorption for a nitrogen oxide at different wavelengths and asked to identify it. I had absolutely no idea how to do it, and the only thing I could find in the data booklet that seemed relevant about wavenumbers didn't have an option for an NO bond. Looking through the book I honestly can't find how to solve this anywhere except in Modern Analytical Chemistry. Anybody know where in the environmental section this problem is discussed?

What exactly were you asked to identify?

From what I can remember of the question, it stated that the light absorption chart (or something along those lines) belonged to a nitrogen oxide, NxOy. It had frequency on the x-axis and had arbitrary units of something on the y-axis. The wavelength where the graph peaked was in infrared, and from there it just asked to give the identity of the nitrogen oxide. I just guessed N2O because the next question dealt with its environmental impact relative to CO2 and N2O was the only one I remembered from the chart of greenhouse gases, so I figured I might get follow through points for the second part. 

I remember that question. I had no idea what to do either! I just put down NO2 because that is a primary pollutant but I didn't know how we were expected to derive that from the information in the graph. It was only worth one point though so it shouldn't be too bad.

On option G, What about the question on why the compound C was more acidic than propanoic acid? I said the product was an acid anhydride but I was seriously doubtful ok whether it was an ester... I assumed since the oxygen in the carboxylic acid was pulling electrons releasing the proton to bond with Cl would be easier... No idea though!

On option G, What about the question on why the compound C was more acidic than propanoic acid? I said the product was an acid anhydride but I was seriously doubtful ok whether it was an ester... I assumed since the oxygen in the carboxylic acid was pulling electrons releasing the proton to bond with Cl would be easier... No idea though!

This is interesting, firstly because I said acid anhydride and you're the first person to have said the same!! :D In hindsight, both are possible so I don't know what they will do regarding that. I also struggled on the acid question for the same reason and I wrote exactly what you wrote, but my friends have said that the question regarding acidity was referring to the hydroxycarboxylic acid from one of the reaction processes if I can remember correctly, or at least not compound C, which I didn't notice at all in the paper. Can you remember anything else? Perhaps they worded the question poorly and it wasn't entirely clear upon reading first time round... I thought I just made a silly mistake but I'm intrigued that someone else seems to have done the same... :P ... That final double page was generally not very nice!!

Edited by sam1996

I don't remember exactly but I was sure at the time they were referring to the product! I'm guessing, hoping, they'll give points for either answer :P in my head it made more sense that the compound would be more acidic because it was an ACID anhydride rather than an ester which I wouldn't know why would be more acidic. I didn't really re-read the questions though (which was probably a mistake) cause I finished 45 minutes early with that paper...

This is interesting, firstly because I said acid anhydride and you're the first person to have said the same!! :D In hindsight, both are possible so I don't know what they will do regarding that. I also struggled on the acid question for the same reason and I wrote exactly what you wrote, but my friends have said that the question regarding acidity was referring to the hydroxycarboxylic acid from one of the reaction processes if I can remember correctly, or at least not compound C, which I didn't notice at all in the paper. Can you remember anything else? Perhaps they worded the question poorly and it wasn't entirely clear upon reading first time round... I thought I just made a silly mistake but I'm intrigued that someone else seems to have done the same... :P ... That final double page was generally not very nice!!

I don't remember exactly but I was sure at the time they were referring to the product! I'm guessing, hoping, they'll give points for either answer :P in my head it made more sense that the compound would be more acidic because it was an ACID anhydride rather than an ester which I wouldn't know why would be more acidic. I didn't really re-read the questions though (which was probably a mistake) cause I finished 45 minutes early with that paper...

Well I hope we are right! I need every mark possible :P

What were the questions again? Like the questions you didnt have time to do?

The question of auxillary action and chiralty :(