Chemistry IA moderation

ketone

Hi there. I am a candidate for May 2014, taking Chemistry HL.

I would like to ask do the moderators modify our score out of 48, or they do not change the personal skills/ manipulative skills marks? (eg a candidate's not chosen for sample, and hows his/her mark gonna get moderated? do the students PS and MS not changed or changed as a whole?) 

Thanks.

The teacher sends samples of students work (which are randomly selected by the IB) to the moderator.

Only DCP/CE and design labs are sent along with a copy of the PSOW.

The moderator will decide if he or she agrees with the teacher's marking.

If the moderator thinks the teacher has been too generous, then the moderator will mark down the teacher's marks by a certain amount. Conversely if the moderator thinks that the teacher has been too harsh, the teacher's marks may well be marked up.

Let's say the moderator marks the samples down by 5 marks, then all the student's scores will be marked down by 5 marks (not just those that were sent for moderation).

So it is possible that the score that you are given by your teacher for your IA will change (though usually only by a few marks). 

Regarding MS and PS, these are not moderated (as far as I know), which is why they have been removed in the new syllabus. 

Edited by Msj Chem
  • Like 1

The teacher sends samples of students work (which are randomly selected by the IB) to the moderator.

Only DCP/CE and design labs are sent along with a copy of the PSOW.

The moderator will decide if he or she agrees with the teacher's marking.

If the moderator thinks the teacher has been too generous, then the moderator will mark down the teacher's marks by a certain amount. Conversely if the moderator thinks that the teacher has been too harsh, the teacher's marks may well be marked up.

Let's say the moderator marks the samples down by 5 marks, then all the student's scores will be marked down by 5 marks (not just those that were sent for moderation).

So it is possible that the score that you are given by your teacher for your IA will change (though usually only by a few marks). 

Regarding MS and PS, these are not moderated (as far as I know), which is why they have been removed in the new syllabus. 

Thanks. Then would it be unfair if a school give all candidates high score and the other school being harsh at it. (I mean at the PS/MS component)

Edited by ketone

Because of moderation, the hypothetical school that gives all high marks would have their marks decreased (significantly) while the "other school" might have its marks raised a bit (it's hard to imagine that a school is being MUCH harsher than IB).

Also, moderation occurs after a school sends in ALL the pre-mod marks. Typically IB will select some of the highest, lowest, as well as mid-range marks for moderation.

I suppose it might be unfair if one school is very strict on awarding marks for MS and PS and another is not, but remember MS and PS only make up 12 out a possible 48 marks for IA so it probably won't make that much of a difference. 

Edited by Msj Chem

I suppose it might be unfair if one school is very strict on awarding marks for MS and PS and another is not, but remember MS and PS only make up 12 out a possible 48 marks for IA so it probably won't make that much of a difference. 

Yeah..luckly the IB realizes it and changes syllabus.