IB time zone

ketone

Hi all.

1. I think tz2 is generally more difficult than tz1, given that the subject has two time zones. I can always predict which time zone that paper was by looking at the paper's questions.

2. Also, the tz1 has more lenient grade boundaries than tz2.

Do you agree with this and why is this happening?

Edited by ketone
  • Like 2

I do not agree with the idea that one time zone or one session is always harder than the other. The relative difficulty is supposed to be identical and for the most part they are. Sometimes a time zone or session gets thrown a hard question, but this is reflected in a lowering of grade boundaries. It more has to do with how many students take the exam and how prepared those students are when they take the exam. For example, May always has a larger number of exam takers because the countries with the largest enrollment of IB students (the US, Canada) take their exams then, and oftentimes students from these areas get the short stick of schools not really understanding IB requirements and not really setting them up for success (making SL courses only last a year instead of two full years, everyone takes HL English and history regardless of ability or interest). Even with that, no one likes to talk about how easy exams were or how prepared they were after studying for threw months. People for some reason like to not study and procrastinate on doing so and say things like "lol it was hard because I didn't take it seriously" and that's what you see a lot instead. And then it gets reflected in their grades.

So basically this isn't happening, and the IBO isn't out to destroy the lives of people in time zone two or in the November session.

• 6 months later...

Hi all.

1. I think tz2 is generally more difficult than tz1, given that the subject has two time zones. I can always predict which time zone that paper was by looking at the paper's questions.

2. Also, the tz1 has more lenient grade boundaries than tz2.

Do you agree with this and why is this happening?

i totally agree with you, and i even sent a complaint to the IBO. I feel it's unfair, since all TZ1 questions are straightforward questions just like the book, while TZ2 questions are complicated and it takes a long time to understand the question. In addition, they have the TZ2 grade boundaries harder than that of TZ1. 

I was really suspicious but then everything got clearer when I transferred from Lebanon to Canada for IB2 (when I heard that the class average in the IBOs is 38/45, and in Lebanon it is 32), and felt that I have the same learning skills and capacity as my new classmates. Then I saw the TZ1 sessions and completed them with ease. When I tried solving TZ2, I referred multiple times to the book and notes to have a chance at solving the problems.

• Like 1