How to deal with rejection?

Any advice on how to deal with being rejected from places you apply to? I remember how in junior high, I chose to write an entrance exam to get into this academic high school, but I got a rejection. I got to try out again in grade 10, but I got rejected again. I know it shouldn't matter now, but it's still bothering me so much and I was also recently rejected from this internship I really wanted. I'm just saying to myself: what if I get rejected from the university I want? 

I'm super stressed out right now because I really want to go to UBC, but I look back at those other times where I've been rejected and I can't help but think that it'll be the same with UBC.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks :) 

First of all: Chill. It'll all work out, you're not doing your exams until next year and you shouldn't be this stressed for something that is far away. 

I don't really have advice on how to deal with rejection but I can give you a little bit of comfort. UBC loves IB students more than any other school I know. Almost all the IB kids in my school applied there and NOBODY go rejected. I have heard from kids who had done IB years before that they all got accepted too. They accept extremely low IB grades, even in th 20's. I also saw that you listed U of A as your Uni goals and they accepted me with just 31 points as my predicted grade for a really good science program. I was the same as you (although I wasn't stressing in grade 11) and this whole year I thought I wouldn't be accepted anywhere because I was doing so bad but you know what? I got accepted to everywhere I applied. One factor was that I had my provincial and IB grades. U of T is another goal of yours and I haven't met an IB student rejected by them and U of T is actually pretty easy to get into if you do IB. Just keep up with your goals and do your absolute best. Don't stress. I hope someone can give you advice on rejection but I thought maybe this cold ease your thoughts a bit. 

Edited by ibwantingicecream
  • Like 4

Make sure the units you apply for have offers you can meet. So if they ask for 36 points, make sure you're predicted 36, or even 37 then you are more likely to get accepted. 

If its any help, i thought i wouldn't get accepted into any and I got accepted into all of my 5 choices so just relax... Anyway your uni applications won't happen very soon, so don't over-worry

• Like 1

Totally empathize with the situation you're in. I myself have been rejected by an academic high school, but ending up into the second best high school in my city turned out to be a wonderful experience and I've grown so much from it. Made tons of new friends and definitely got to know a lot of awesome teachers. I'm also waiting for my letter of rejection most likely to two of the internships I've applied for, but all these rejections have humbled me. I almost want to thank, okay, I do want to thank being rejected, because honestly, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and better.

I'd honestly say be yourself, which I know is terribly cliche, but it's definitely true. Because you don't want to be accepted for someone who you're not and then later be booted out because you turned out to be not what they wanted. You'll probably be such an awesome contribution to the other place you end up in that the places which rejected you will be all jealous and mad at themselves for not accepting you.

As mentioned in your signature and by another member previously, you're looking to get into U of A? And into the faculty of Arts for UofA I'm assuming? So don't worry, I'm sure you'll get in, especially focusing on your humanities if you're trying to get into the Arts, as I've heard that they scale the different subject areas according to the faculty applied to. I could be wrong though.

• Like 2

I guess each of us has to find their own way to deal with it - we're all going to face rejection at many occasions in our lives. For me the important thing is to know why you were rejected, or if it's impossible to find out why, think of some possible reasons. Then you know what you have to improve... or know the reason is independent of you and there's nothing to get stressed about. And I also like to have a backup plan - even the slightest, vague idea of what I could do if I don't get where I want to; it just keeps me calm even though it may not be a serious alternative.

And one (or two) important thing(s). Be realistic, but confident. I hate to say it, but the application processes to internships, placements etc. give a massive advantage to those who are good at selling their qualities rather than throse who actually have skills. In case of universities it's slightly more fair, but it would also depend on the education system in a given country.

And keep trying! In many cases your rejection only means you've had bad luck. It took me over 20 attempts to get to any internship to fill my gap year, and I guess, I'll have to send even more applications for more serious jobs.

Rejection is nothing special - it's a sign that you tried. And next time you try, you may get accepted. Good luck with your future applications!

Edited by Slovakov
  • Like 4

Rejection is a fact of life, we all encounter it at some point. 

Dealing with it can be difficult, I know. What I would tell you, is to not let it get to you on a personal level. (Easier said than done) It might not sound very comforting right now, but keep in mind that the admissions boards go over hundreds, if not thousands of applications regularly. When they reject your application, they reject figures and text on a meaningless piece of paper paper, they are not rejecting you as a person, your talents, skills and ambitions, so don't let it get to you that way. 

Do your best, try your hardest, be unrelenting. If it doesn't work out, trying again or finding a different path or solution are your second choices. That's just about as much as you can do in any area of life.

• Like 3

I remember how in junior high, I chose to write an entrance exam to get into this academic high school, but I got a rejection. I got to try out again in grade 10, but I got rejected again.  

:o 

Our situations are pretty similar too! I cried the when I got the first rejection. The second I realized rejection is a part of life and maybe I wasn't meant to go to that school and made the best of it :)

As for university. Chill :). You seem like a smart person and you can probably make it into those three universities :)

• Like 2