Are you allowed to change level of a subject for exams?

I have no idea how to formulate the topic title.. haha.

I take Chemistry SL but in 3 weeks i will be done with IB1 and I just found out that I need chemistry HL for medschool in UK and other countries. So, if I take the exams in 2016 for chemsitry SL am I allowed to do retakes in chemistry but for HL ? 

Please help me! :( :/ :l :):D

Yes, it does depend on the school.

But regarding Medicine, I'm wanting to study that too, and I do Chem SL, but in Australia (since they don't really have prerequisites there, just high scores). In the UK, most unis want Chem HL, but some put more of an emphasis on grades. Oxford, for example, are fine with Chem SL as long as you have two other HLs (I'm not quite sure at the top of my head, but you can check their website, I think it's another science and/or Maths or English). But they want at least a 6,6,7 in your HLs or something like that.

I have a number of friends and relatives that got into Medicine around the world with Chem SL, but it's more tolerable in other places, the UK are quite tough with prerequisites.

In case you aren't allowed by your school to do Chem HL, do you have any other plans? Perhaps other places in Europe? or elsewhere in the world? It's always good to have backup plans.  :)

• Like 1

It honestly depends on your school. My school didn't solidify the HL/SL choices until we paid for our IB exams in September of IB2; they taught all of the core material during the first year, and focused on the HL-only stuff during IB2 (obviously after teaching the remainder of the core). It depends on your school - check the syllabus to see what you've covered.

As long as you haven't paid for your exams yet, you SHOULD be able to get approval from your instructor and coordinator to switch.