Opinions on these univeristies!

Rosalina

Hello,

I'd like to study Medicine or Engineering but I am not sure about universities since I'd be the first person to attend university in Canada. Can anyone tell me about the Pre-Med/Science/Engineering programs of the following unis? (I tried looking up unis on yconic/studentawards but they were mostly filled people bashing schools for no purpose other than to boost their ego)

• University of Alberta
  • University of Calgary
  • University of British Columbia 
  • Univeristy of Victoria
  • Ryerson
  • Brock

Thank you

Unfortunately, I don't know much about these universities, but one really popular option that I've heard of is the university of Waterloo. It has a brilliant co-op (work and study) program, and excellent reputation with employers, facilitating excellent placements into companies. It's also among the best for engineering in Canada. Otherwise, I've only heard of UToronto and UBC. UBC is an excellent choice as well, but I think it has an upper hand when it comes to the sciences, and not necessarily engineering. Of course, take whatever I say about UBC with a grain of salt, because I'm not too sure myself. 

I've heard pretty good things about Waterloo as well and would consider it if I was smart. I know that Mcgill, McMaster, UoT and UoW are good schools and way out of my league hahahaha

I have an average around 90%. I'll try bringing it up but what schools would I actually have a chance at?

• 2 weeks later...

Super late reply but here are my 2 cents.

For engineering, Waterloo is good for ECE/Software Engineering. I'm not sure which engineering discipline you want to pursue, but 90s give you a decent chance at any engineering program. I chose UofT for engineering, and I think it's a great school. The programs are much more flexible and more open to research. I got a super cool on-campus job, and I'll probably try to get research next year. Decent alternatives for engineering include UofA, UBC and Ryerson. 

If you're shooting for medicine, I would choose Western Med Sci or McMaster Health Sci. Otherwise, IMO the difference between science programs are pretty negligible. Some people say go to York or Brock where you'll get a higher GPA, but I'm not sure if this is entirely true. The top two feeder school to UofT's med schools are McMaster and UofT, so going to a bigger school like UofT or UBC or Mcgill won't harm your chances by much either. 

Oh, and 90s will give you a decent chance at pretty much any program. 

• Like 2

A lot of my cousins went to Western for Medical sciences and York for Bachelor of Sciences and are successfully studying for medicine and/or have completed medicine today. :) And like by.andrew mentioned, a 90 average will most definitely give you a chance at either of these programs and even some engineering programs at U of Waterloo (the less competitive ones). Ryerson has a good comp sci program but I would definitely keep Western and Waterloo as high priority options for Engineering and Medicine :)

Check out their websites, they have their viewbooks out right now too so you can see what requirements you'd need as an academic student and an IB student for each of their programs. It'll give you better insight on them and maybe they can help you figure out your options based on what requirements you can meet. And don't be too hard on yourself when you're evaluating yourself for this, trust me, keep your options wide open especially if you're still unsure as to where you want to go.

Edited by IbTrojan

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'd like to study Medicine or Engineering but I am not sure about universities since I'd be the first person to attend university in Canada. Can anyone tell me about the Pre-Med/Science/Engineering programs of the following unis? (I tried looking up unis on yconic/studentawards but they were mostly filled people bashing schools for no purpose other than to boost their ego)

• University of Alberta
  • University of Calgary
  • University of British Columbia 
  • Univeristy of Victoria
  • Ryerson
  • Brock

Thank you

Out of those listed, I've only heard of the top four. If you're looking to go into any pre-med programs, I believe Canada only has one or two universities that do pre-med, but the good news is, if you're looking to get into medicine, you can enter from ANY discipline: arts, engineering, business, nursing...doesn't matter. UBC and U of A are awesome, and if you're looking to go into cardiothoracic surgery (as I am hoping to) U of A would be a great choice for a medical degree. UBC is also great though UBC is most likely better in sciences and U of A better for engineering. UBC LOVES/ADORES/CHERISHES IB students so if you're looking into that, that could also be an option.