What should I read?

Rosalina

Hello!

I have quite the dilemma going on. I don't have anything to read in the summer :o I feel like I have read every books that could interest me (which is definitely false) So, I am asking you guys for some suggestions :)

I like: Books with action. I really enjoys books with a medieval/dystopian/fantasy/historical setting. I don't care much for romance. I don't know what to call this genre I dislike but two of the authors who write these are Lauren Oliver and Sarah Dessen.

I also like graphic novels/comics like Smile, Sisters, Tintin, Calvin and Hobbes, etc.

Thank you :D

:help:

I recommend Uglies by Scott Westerfeld if you like dystopian and also We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (it's fairly short too). 

For historical, I recommend the Cousins' War series. Idk if you'll like it but I really liked it. For fantasy, there's A Song of Ice and Fire of course (it'll probably take you forever to finish though :P). 

• Like 1

I also recommend A Song of Ice and Fire! The series is my favourite fantasy series by far.

As for dystopia, there is the classic Battle Royale by Koushun Takami which is also a favourite of mine.

Regarding historical fiction, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is good (but you've likely already read it) as is The Wars by Timothy Findley (this one is not very popular, but I enjoyed it).

• Like 1

I recommend Dimitr Gluchovsky's (if it's the right spelling) Metro 2033 and other books in this universe - really good piece of action in post-appocalyptic setting.

I'm pretty sure there are some other books I should mention, but can't think of any at the moment.....

• Like 2

If you haven't read The Godfather (or didn't know it is a book) read that. I can also recommend Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. 

This! Both are great books although "Zen..." is rather more ambitious and requires more focus.

Ok, I reminded myself some stuff you may find interesting.

Continuing my Russian thread: Viktor Suvorov wrote a few good action books. "Aquarium" and "Control" are really gripping spy stories (the gerne I love!)

And Viktor Pielevin's books such as "Omon Ra" are fantasy, set more or less in our world.... Sometimes absurd, can be really interesting.

Other than this.... I realy enjoyed The Guns of Navarone by Alistair MacLean. A short novel about a sabotage action during World War  II. Its sequel is quite good as well.

Oh, and anything by Robert Rankin. He describes his books as "far-fetched fantasy"  and he's quite right in this description. A bit abstract, really hilarious and sometimes painfully right in uncovering absurdities of our life.

And what about The Witcher? Recently made famous by a video game, though written some 20 years ago. You've got everything there: action, magic, politics and a massive world. And blood. A LOT of blood. 

The only thing is I'm not sure if all of his books are translated into English yet...

Edited by Slovakov
  • Like 1

Thank you for the suggestions!  :lol:

I recommend Uglies by Scott Westerfeld if you like dystopian and also We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (it's fairly short too). 

For historical, I recommend the Cousins' War series. Idk if you'll like it but I really liked it. For fantasy, there's A Song of Ice and Fire of course (it'll probably take you forever to finish though :P). 

I read Uglies, actually it was my first dystopian! I wonder why its so underrated and not made into a movie yet!

I would have read Game of Thrones a long time ago, but the only thing holding me back are the rather...descriptive scenes. Are they that bad?  The last thing I need is my sister reading it....

Inferno by Dan Brown is a great read :)

Anything by James Rollins is fantastic as well.

Dumb question, but is the title Anything or any books by the author ?

Harry Potter if you haven't read it.

Alex Rider is awesome

Power of 5.

I have a link to Calvin and Hobbes, PM me if you want it.

Eragon

and

Lorien Legacies

These are all awesome books

Who hasn't read Harry Potter? XD

Also for Power of 5, are you taking about that "I am Number Four" series??

@Slokakov Your post is really long but thanks for the suggestions :D I'll definitely have to check them out

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize that I don't remember some of the author's names, but a quick search on google should help you find them.

1. If on a winter's night (Yes, that's how the title is written. Capitalization only on the first word, if I'm not mistaken).

2. A Chorus of Stones by Susan Griffin (some people really don't like her style, but it is really, really amazing to analyze. This book, though not an easy read, has greatly changed my perspective on literature).

3. The Complete Persepolis as mentioned by the person before me

4. No Exit by Sartre (This is a play, but has some very interesting philosophical aspects to it)

5. Belzhar (for fun)

6. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen(if you haven't read it already. An amazing classic)

7. Falling Into Place by Amy Zhang (modern, YA novel)

8. If I Stay/TFIOS/Looking for Alaska (your common YA novels)

If you have any idea about what you might want to study at uni, reading books on that subject would be beneficial as well.

Hope this helped!

• Like 2

6. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen(if you haven't read it already. An amazing classic)

We did that for English A, but I personally found it dreadfully boring. Ended up watching the P&P BBC TV mini-series instead, according to those who actually read the book, the story line is surprisingly accurate. That's just me though, most people in our class loved the book.

If you are into an "easier" (though requiring just as much analysis) book, I would highly recommend "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck.

• Like 1

I loved Gone with the Wind! I was like 14 when I read it, and just in love with Rhett Butler. It was my first real glimpse into historical fiction, too. I found it even easier to get into than P&P, by the way, and I loved that one as well.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'd recommend sandman by neil gaiman, a comic and also other neil gaiman books especially stardust. 

I know your not into romance and stuff but jane austens pride and prejudice is just wonderful, maybe not for everyone but i absolutely loved it, try that out if you want to read something a bit different.