Math SL or math studies?

Jenny7096

I get that both math SL and math studies are SL classes. I know for sure that I'll get better grades if I choose math studies.

however, there is a 30% chance that I'll study economics in Uni. I'm not good at math and taking math SL will definitely increase a lot of stress.

Is it worth it? Can I study Economic in the top 100 Unis if I take math studies?

I get that both math SL and math studies are SL classes. I know for sure that I'll get better grades if I choose math studies.

however, there is a 30% chance that I'll study economics in Uni. I'm not good at math and taking math SL will definitely increase a lot of stress.

Is it worth it? Can I study Economic in the top 100 Unis if I take math studies?

Most of the Ivy league Uni's and their equivalent in the UK need HL math. Sl often doesn't cut it. However, if you're ok with colleges like University of Reading or UC San Diego (both are awesome schools), instead of say, London School of Economics or Harvard, SL math is OK. Economics like Djsporting said is a high math demanding course. So, SL math would be your best bet.

As an FYI, I've spoken to a few college representatives, and they say the Finance courses are similar to the Econ you do in school, and Econ in college is more of stuff along the lines of econometrics, but don't hold this to me.

^^ Top US universities don't *require* higher level maths for economics - there really aren't any subject specific requirements for majors (except for things like nursing, engineering etc - i.e. highly specialized majors.) The college admission officers I've talked to said they merely glance over your ''intended major'' as they admit students to the school as a whole (exception being business, engineering and what not). Plus the U Chicago (has one of the best econ program in the US) admission officer I spoke to said standard level maths will suffice for econ, you'll just start off your maths sequence from Calculus I. 

With that being said, if you aren't very comfortable with the maths that is covered in standard level maths (not studies) then you should really think over whether majoring in economics is the right thing for you as economics at university level is highly quantitative, so you'll need to be very comfortable with pretty high levels of maths. 

On a side note, in terms of scope Maths SL is quite enough for economics (below  the research level), but I assume that top universities want students with better analytical skills and this is why some of them may want Maths HL.

Edited by Slovakov