Two years of Maths SL in one year

chrypton

So the thing is that our school goes through Mathematics SL in one year, instead of two years. We take the Maths SL exam already the first year. Eventually, if there are some who want to continue with Maths HL, they will be able to the second year.

Is taking Maths SL in just one year equivalent to the first year of Math HL? Since I'm going to take Maths HL next year, will this help me(taking the whole SL course in one year)?

Thanks

I started out in HL and they def have a much faster pace than SL but it's hard to say if it's 2x as fast. I can't say that it's equivalent unless they cover all of the SL material in year 1 and then go in-depth during year 2 to cover the HL material. That said, I think most of the HL students would've fared well if they took the SL exam after IB1.

The SL classes here do the course in one year as well. :)
It'll probably help you (taking the SL course) as they'll cover core topics that you will not necessarily be able to cover in 1 term of HL. That and you'll be doing some review when you enter HL.

As for pace, I'd say the the first term went pretty fast. We covered almost all SL core topics and went in depth for HL. The pace has slowed down this year though. :)

WOW, people..

Im doing Maths SL one year earlier. In our school, the policy is (copied from the Maths Department Handbook:
"30 gifted students will commence their studies in Mathematics one year early. Upon the completion of IB SL Maths Year 1, students may opt for two paths. They may choose to finish IB Maths SL in Year 12 therefore finishing IB Maths one year earlier or they may wish to study HL Maths and sit the exam in the final Year 13 year with the rest of their IB exams...."

Blah Blah Blah. I saw the Maths HL textbook it is so hard. And I don't get how you can fit everything in one year.. Im already struggling coz the Maths teacher seems to be moving so fast.. ahhhhh Im really not good at maths:(