Can anyone lead me to where I can find examples of a good world literature paper? My teacher just threw this at us last week and I am still at lost to how this should be. Have any of you guys gotte a seven? My topic has to be about the book "The Stranger" by Albert Camus.

I am afraid that I do not have access to a World Literature example paper, but I can offer some advice. 

The key to this assignment is to find a "nugget", as my teacher called it, that you can take from the literary work and expand upon in an essay. For example, you could choose to look at a specific type of symbolism or imagery. From there, you can find examples of this "nugget" in the work and observe them. From these observations should come some ideas. You could ask yourself, "What effect does this have on the book as a whole?" or "Why did the author employ this?".

Essentially, because World Literature papers are so different from each other, it will be difficult to find an example of one. The most important thing, instead, is to develop a topic while asking your teacher for feedback and ensuring that you are writing in a clear and direct manner, and that your essay is well-organized.

• Like 2

Although this does not have the marks, it does have examiner comments and there is the reflective statement and supervised writing attached as well. 

I am working on my World Lit paper as well (got feedback for my first draft already and going to start working on my final draft soon). It's on the symbolism of glass in We by Yevgeny Zamyatin :D. My advice on topic: look to your reflective statement for ideas because for World Lit, you should have ideally done interactive orals on three of your works. It's strange that you have to base your paper on one book because I thought you were supposed to have a choice :P but I guess every teacher does it differently. You also should have done supervised writing because it'll help you get ideas for what you want to write about and if IB tries to accuse you of plagiarizing, they look at the supervised writing as evidence that you didn't actually plagiarize. It would be helpful if you took notes on the book so then, you can find stuff about symbols, motifs, tone, characterization, syntax etc. and then use that to help you come up with a specific topic. Make sure the topic you come up with is something you can sufficiently talk about in a 1200-1500 word paper (which isn't a lot). Since the paper is focused on technique, use your commentary skills and actually pick apart literary details. Also doesn't hurt to bring cultural context in if it applies, but don't let it drive your piece or it's guaranteed that you will do VERY badly on the paper. If you gather info from external sources, CITE it. If you're not sure whether you should cite something, do it anyways. It's better to over-cite than under-cite. 

Another thing is to make your first draft as good as possible. Doesn't have to be perfect of course, but take it seriously because it will be the ONLY time your teacher is giving you feedback (you can still ask questions but they can't re-read your paper). The more you have, the more your teacher can help you. 

Hope I helped :P and good luck! 

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 3

Camus' _The Stranger_?   :o   Crikey. Great Choice. :headchop:

One bit of advice: unless you have a really good grasp of Absurdism, avoid dwelling on this aspect or writing on an aspect which requires more than a passing nod of the philosophy. 

Examining some literary feature (as opposed to the philosophical) is therefore recommendable. 

A word to the wise  ;)

Edited by Blackcurrant
  • Like 2