Chronicle of a Death Foretold/Paradise of the Blind WIT paper topic

boron

Hi,

I have two possible topics for my WIT paper and I have no idea which would make a better paper.  Here are my plans for them:

Thesis 1: Garcia Marquez’s depiction of shared guilt in Chronicle of a Death Foretold serves to illustrate the peculiarities of human nature.

Point 1: The routines and rituals that dominate the characters’ lives are almost animalistic.

2: The characters’ obsession with the fact that the death is fated to happen is part of what allows them to be complicit in the murder.

3: The characters experience a profound sense of guilt over the crime.

Thesis 2: In Paradise of the Blind, Huong uses symbolism in order to represent unfulfilled lives in Vietnam.

1: The cripple represents lives cut short by unpredictable circumstances.

2: The duckweed flowers represent the stifling quality of Vietnam.

Any advice?

Thanks!

I read Chronicle, but I haven't read the other one. :P Just look at which one you feel that you can do a better job on discussing your literary details. I think your points for Chronicle are kind of questionable. Probably better to talk about honour and the role in plays in how they respond to Santiago's murder. 3. is questionable as well. Do they all really experience a lot of guilt over the crime? Your thesis is kind of general tbh. Maybe be specific on what peculiarities? 

Edited by ShootingStar16

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read the first book you mention, but my friend and I both recently got 7's on our essays on Paradise of the Blind, hers on the cripple, mine on the flowers, so I can say from experience that that one works really well... Neither one of us is stellar at Lit, but it's really easy to use either one of these topics well, as there is tons of evidence, and you can interpret almost anything into it and make the evidence work... Also, the "appreciation of the author's choices" becomes really easy because Thuong writes in a very unique and descriptive way, you can use this almost as one of the main claims for any point you make... If you choose to do symbolism though, jus make sure you don't get too broad, because there is a lot of stuff to say... Good luck!