Help with Historical Investigation Question?

princesssar

Hey there I would appreciate if I could get an outside look on the question I have for my rough draft of my HI. It's due tomorrow, and I have done little on it, so tonight is gonna be busy.... I do have a direction where I am going and have to stick to this topic at this point lol 

So far I phrased the question 2 ways just basically need help in what sounds better..? haha

1.) How did the treatment towards the Japanese in British Columbia affect the economy leading up to WWII?

2.) How did the economy shift with the treatment of the Japanese in British Columbia leading up to WWII? 

*** Should I put specific dates?

BTW I am quite unsure of whether or not to put like "racial mistreatment or predjudice" because before I asked my teacher and she said it was biased? Personally while biased I agree... but this is essentially what happened in all the history books I've read..... so I am unsure if I should go with it anyways... or to just leave it as "treatment." 

Also I know this is not the typical question you get from IB Students... typically its safer to go with something actually on the curriculum  (I have found) but I wanted to go in a different direction because nothing interested me at the time... and I realize that many of you probably don't have knowledge on whether that could be a good question or not. At this point though changing topic is NOT UP for consideration.. just to put that out there. I would also like to say that this question is not going to IB because I am not continuing on next year but to get credit for this course I must hand in this darn thing so this is my situation. 

If anybody else has any ideas of for another questions for this topic I would love to hear!! As well as if you have done something on this before please give me the 4-1-1!! 

Anyways I know this is short notice and I may not get a reply, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyways! Thanks!

Oh and as far as the mistreatment goes I am thinking of the sending off to the internment camps and when they also had to leave to go fight in Japan! Before that they had settled their for about 40-50 years and had really invested the time in fishing, and agriculture!

Well I did do my HI on something that was out of our curriculum and I got 21/25 on the first draft. I did Japanese history and specifically looked at whether the black ships in 1853 had more of a role in causing the collapse of the Tokugawa regime than increasing peasant revolts. Personally, I think the first question sounds better because it more so focuses on the mistreatment of the Japanese as a cause in the changing of the economy if that's what you want and you should probably specify the form of mistreatment in your question. For the 'economy' part.. Not sure about that. Sounds a bit iffy to me... Do some research first and if you find too much information on that part, your question is too broad.

Edited by ShootingStar16
  • Like 1

Thank you so much! ShootingStar16! Good to know! I definitley will work in something about predjudice in the question somehow... and yes I do need to focus a bit on the economy and how that was affected by the Japanese internment and leaving, WWII etc. As far as being too broad goes the question maybe is... but there really is little research that I have found on this topic in 4 different libraries.. so I have a few books with me that will help I don't think being to broad is an issue, but I think your right regarding the question perhaps! 

Also should I add specific dates like the question/research is going to be leading up to WWII so should I state in my question like 1932-1939 (something like that)

*** How did the racial treatment towards the Japanese in British Columbia affect the economy leading up to WWII?**

Well I did do my HI on something that was out of our curriculum and I got 21/25 on the first draft. I did Japanese history and specifically looked at whether the black ships in 1853 had more of a role in causing the collapse of the Tokugawa regime than increasing peasant revolts. Personally, I think the first question sounds better because it more so focuses on the mistreatment of the Japanese as a cause in the changing of the economy if that's what you want and you should probably specify the form of mistreatment in your question. For the 'economy' part.. Not sure about that. Sounds a bit iffy to me... Do some research first and if you find too much information on that part, your question is too broad.

Edited by princesssar

I did but it's been awhile so I forgot... I can maybe message some of my students. It's a little late to ask my teach now lol  <_< I appreciate your input thanks for helping me out and cool to know your mind went in a similar path with the Japanese history!  :D

I'm not entirely sure but I think leading up to WWII is fine.. Don't quote me on that though. Did you try asking your teacher? 

Also should I add specific dates like the question/research is going to be leading up to WWII so should I state in my question like 1932-1939 (something like that)

I would think that at some point in your IA it would a good idea to define the dates but it doesn't have to be in the title.

Speaking for personal experience, I didn't put dates in my question and still got a good score in my first draft (25/25). Just make sure you define the dates (and any other relevant material) in section A.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for answering that for me! I think I'll add that in later when I kind've work my head around the dates/evidence I have looked at!

I would think that at some point in your IA it would a good idea to define the dates but it doesn't have to be in the title.

Speaking for personal experience, I didn't put dates in my question and still got a good score in my first draft (25/25). Just make sure you define the dates (and any other relevant material) in section A.