TOK presentation on Reason

Habash

Hello!

So I had a question, my TOK presentation is coming up and I'd like to ask, is the question: "To what extent can reason be applied to any methodology" a good KQ? If not, my other idea is: "What should be the basis for determining figures of authority and experts?" but I'm not sure how to begin with the second idea. I'd REALLY appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Do you have a RLS? That's how I did my KQ, I found the WOK that were in my general RLS. The first question that you said about ,methodology and reason is good, but the second questions is a little specific, it's not exactly questioning the knowledge. You want to say something like "In what ways should the basis of determining figures of authority and experts be determined?" But for that question, i would use some more TOK terms from the WOK or other vocabulary. Also make sure you define the TOK words you use in your presentation, that way you will get a better idea of what you are trying to say, and also you will show your teacher that you understand those terms. Don't use them randomly, try and make it connect with your other RLSs as well. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them :).

Hello!

So I had a question, my TOK presentation is coming up and I'd like to ask, is the question: "To what extent can reason be applied to any methodology" a good KQ? If not, my other idea is: "What should be the basis for determining figures of authority and experts?" but I'm not sure how to begin with the second idea. I'd REALLY appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Like what turquoisecactus has said, you should try to derive your TOK  knowledge question based on a RLS. Now, in my opinion, the first question is extremely vague, and badly formulated, particularly because of the word "methodology". What exactly do you mean by that? If you look at the Cambridge dictionary, "methodology" is defined as "a system or ways of doing, teaching, or studying something". This means that if you want to look at "any methodology", it would take you a human lifetime to do it.

To improve the question, I'd suggest you to restrict your question by adding an indication to what type of methodology you are talking about. For example, this might be a good RQ: "To what extent are reasoning and sense perception important in research methodology within natural science?" Here you can bring up many ideas about reasoning vs. empiricism that epidemiologists often talk about. You can also mention the scientific research relating the "near-death-experiences (NDEs)", because these types of research are heavily criticized by the scientific community as they are often based entirely upon untrustworthy claims by NDEs patients. See the debate of Sean Carroll (the youtube link I attached at the bottom).

Now, if you do the second question, then you should listen to turquoisecactus' advice. I myself don't particularly like this topic because it's slightly overdone, and I find it quite boring tbh. But if you are more confident with your second idea, then go with it.