IB stereotypes in your school?

The IB students are somewhat infamous at my school... While there are many IB students and regular students who coexist in harmony, unfortunately there are many regular students who spite the IB students and vice versa. The regular students appear to claim that the IB students are conceited and do not deserve their marks, whereas the IB students rudely assert that the regular students "have no future". I do not agree with either side in this petty strife and I believe that it is rather unfair to reduce either set of students down to such things. Nevertheless, it is likely that this stereotype of IB students at my school will persist.

• Like 1

At my school, IB classes are regarded as being much harder than what I feel they are, which is why many people choose not do do it. IB students aren't seen badly, but some students might think we're a bit stuck-up based on the actions of a couple of people.

At my school the IB students are the ones that never get any sleep, are always stressed, and think they are more elite than the rest of the school. I kind of also want to say that they're seen as really competitive but my whole school is pretty competitive in general, not just the IBs

• Like 3

At my school the people who don't to the IB pretty much all see us as "mark-diggers", they see as as doing the IB just because of the favourable translation from IB mark to local uni amission index, plus the (on the surface) low grade boundaries for some subjects. And then the people who do the IB at my school are just the biggest procrastinators and after 1 term everyone thinks we're ****ed and we pretty much all say we'll settle for like 31 when we started with hopes of getting 40+.

Edited by Mushahid

I think kids at my school saw IB as pretentious because it’s an English speaking course, and has a reputation of being difficult. Haha I learned that the hard way when I was waiting in the hall for a lesson to start, and I heard a few girls across from me talking about how much they hated IB students. I think they turned a bit red when a friend came over and we started speaking in English haha.

• Like 1

At my school, we were the only IB school in the state and it was in a school that students went to by choice in order pursue higher level and challenging classwork. Basically it was a school for AP and IB curriculum and some people (like parents and district administrators) thought the coordinators of the school/IB were trying to favor IB coursework over AP so that may have fueled some of the tension but other than that the actual students got along very well. There were always jokes about elitism in IB since the classes were so small and AP vs IB rivalries but they were always just jokes between the students.

At my school in New Zealand we are seen, I suppose, as the nerds who voluntarily chose to suffer for the next two years.  IB is seen as a course that is extremely difficult, especially in comparison to the national curriculum however it is generally the misinformed people who believe what I've said.  There is only 17 of us who are doing it yet there are stereotypes within this group but I suppose to the rest of the school we are all the same

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

At my school, there is a belief around IB students that we know everything. One of my non-IB friends asked me for help and I had to say I don't know, as we hadn't done that yet, and they didn't believe me. The other thing is apparently according to some non-Ib friends of mine, we are seen as a very elitist group who can get anything they want by simply stating we are in IB. Which is to my knowledge not a lie(based of one occasion). I wanted to switch out of Applied Music and regain my free period and do Newfoundland Studies independently to get my Fine Arts credit, so I went to the office said, "I'm in IB and, I wanted to do ____", and they just gave me a form to fill and dropped me out of Applied music, while non-IB students are treated a bit more tough when it comes to changing courses.

Edited by Aamir Shaikh

The majority of our grade takes IB (it's the primary reason why people go to the school) so we have a vast range in students so there can't be that many stereotypes, but there is the fact that everyone considers our national curriculum (NCEA) to be far easier than IB which I would disagree with since NCEA's marking is so ridiculously tight that it makes NCEA just as difficult - and they cover the same content in the chapters they do cover.

In my school, the IB kids are the super ambitious ones that you find holding every single executive position on every single club. Literally, every single club. Instead of having no life and studying all the time, the IB kids are actually really involved in the school community, and are usually the ones to get great volunteer jobs or intern positions. Unfortunately, for many of the students, being the president of a club is just a 'resume filler', so they do a really poor job. Some students have too much of a life if you ask me ;)

Edited by orangetardish
grammar