Do I really need B&M, instead of History?

Hey there! I really love History, but correntrly chose Business, and I was wondering

if i really need B&M to continue in studying economy,finance or business associated courses...

Is there a way of perhaps switching the useless Biology with History?? please tell me how.

Do you actually need the subject? Cause I rather change it to History.

This question is most relevant to the people who are already in the uni.

Subjects HL: Eco,B&M,English(A1),Russian(A1)

Subjects SL: Biology,Math

Edited by DmitryKol

IF you're intent in getting into a good uni in the UK, then please do not do B&M HL. It's not regarded as a 'traditional' subject. Since you have Economics, that should provide you with a good base. Doing history and getting a good grade in it will show that you're decent in writing essays in subjects other than English.

I'm about to go into uni, but from what I can tell, they'll teach everything from scratch since there are always those who never did it before.

most universities don't require business and economics during high school if u want to take any courses around those two subjects in the university, because basically they're going to repeat the whole thing.. u just need good score in math (minimum math sl) and i think u'll be okay..

if you really like history, i guess you can switch business with that, because you can study economics without having to learn business, but it will be easier for u to take business of you take economics as well..

i take both business and economics hl because i want to take business courses in the university. I also want to stay ahead and hopefully the universities that i'm applying at will give me advance standings for taking the subjects even before entering the universities. However, the universities that i've visited so far did not say that taking both business and economics will give advance standings during the application (the only thing that matters is the math score), so I guess taking history is just fine :)

For university it's better to have History than B&M. Much better. You also have two A1 languages for no reason, it might be a good idea to drop the other one into A2 or B, universities won't mind it and you won't have to kill yourself because of all the reading.

So choosing hisotry instead of business will be better, even if I will apply for a U.S. uni,I intend to study econimics/finance?

Is there a way of perhaps switching the useless Biology with History?? please tell me how.

Do you actually need the subject? Cause I rather change it to History.

I don't think it's possible to change Biology to History, since the IB is split up into 6 groups and then you would be missing a Group 4 subject altogether.

I agree with everyone else above, Economics is more useful than B&M in uni, besides the fact that B&M is viewed negatively by universities since it's not solid economics (http://www.ibsurvival.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3535). I also take history and want to go into something related to your field...History and Economics together are a very strong combination, according to a lot of people. They compliment each other well.

Also, just my advice, but don't take 4 HL's unless you are applying only to the USA. UK universities don't look at your HL and SL that much (unless it's relevant, like HL Math for engineering and HL language for language studies). They look more at your overall points total, which is likely to be lower with 4 HL's.

Well for my school here in canada, our buisness nd management course is soo much easier compared to our ib sl history class :P every day when i talk to my friends who are in sl history, they are complaining about the amount of books they have to read and the amount of homeword that they get.

But it really comes down to what you want to do in uni, if you want to do commerce then just take b&m, but if you are looking in other areas i would suggest that you do history :P