Getting a 45/45

anvit

It is not impossible to receive a 45/45. 

It requires extreme amount of work & a bit of luck. 
Final exams are graded anonymously. Different exam officers all around the world will be grading your papers so it is never biased. You would have to hope that the exam officers really loved your essays  

• Like 1

I am guessing it requires the same amount of hardwork needed to get around 40/45. The rest is just lady luck doing her work. But yea it is definitely not impossible to get 45/45. This has practically been proven by many IB students all over the world.

The difference between 40 and 45 is anything but luck (perhaps the smallest amount, but not enough to change a subject grade). In my school, there are no surprises with grades and the ones who get 45 consistently achieve 7s in their practice exams and work really pedanticlally trying to figure out why they lost the smallest amount of marks; it's their hard work and effort, no need to discredit them...

• Like 1

As someone who just received 45 points I can say with honesty that the difference between 45 and 40 indeed IS a great deal of luck. I predicted myself anywhere between 39-45 after the exams, and the fact that I got 45 instead of 39 is, in my opinion, sheer dumb luck. I was lucky with many of the exams, with EE and TOK (especially TOK, it's such a subjective thing!), with my IOC topic etc. There is only so much you can do to bring yourself up to around 40 points, but the rest is kind of up to fate.

• Like 3

As someone who just received 45 points I can say with honesty that the difference between 45 and 40 indeed IS a great deal of luck. I predicted myself anywhere between 39-45 after the exams, and the fact that I got 45 instead of 39 is, in my opinion, sheer dumb luck. I was lucky with many of the exams, with EE and TOK (especially TOK, it's such a subjective thing!), with my IOC topic etc. There is only so much you can do to bring yourself up to around 40 points, but the rest is kind of up to fate.

I completely agree. My condition was a total of 39 with 7 in HL Chem and 6 in SL Maths, and before the results were announced I honestly thought that it could go both ways, so I was expecting a 40-42. I was especially worried about HL Chem. Getting a 45 was completely unexpected and I think that I got really lucky especially with the examiners who got my EE and ToK essay. Hard work is required, but grading in the IB is just so subjective that it eventually comes down to where your exams are sent. 

If you study enough and do practice papers you're basically guaranteed a 40 but I think anything above that is just sheer luck. For example, last year there was a girl at my school who had a B as a prediction for her EE. The examiner however was unfair and she got a D. After a reread it turned into a B. This of course is an extreme example but it shows just how much the person reading your papers can affect the outcome.

• Like 2

I am guessing it requires the same amount of hardwork needed to get around 40/45. The rest is just lady luck doing her work. But yea it is definitely not impossible to get 45/45. This has practically been proven by many IB students all over the world.

The difference between 40 and 45 is anything but luck (perhaps the smallest amount, but not enough to change a subject grade). In my school, there are no surprises with grades and the ones who get 45 consistently achieve 7s in their practice exams and work really pedanticlally trying to figure out why they lost the smallest amount of marks; it's their hard work and effort, no need to discredit them...

Well I'm sorry if I offended anyone. But I am going to stick to my opinion.

I completely agree. My condition was a total of 39 with 7 in HL Chem and 6 in SL Maths, and before the results were announced I honestly thought that it could go both ways, so I was expecting a 40-42. I was especially worried about HL Chem. Getting a 45 was completely unexpected and I think that I got really lucky especially with the examiners who got my EE and ToK essay. Hard work is required, but grading in the IB is just so subjective that it eventually comes down to where your exams are sent. 

If you study enough and do practice papers you're basically guaranteed a 40 but I think anything above that is just sheer luck. For example, last year there was a girl at my school who had a B as a prediction for her EE. The examiner however was unfair and she got a D. After a reread it turned into a B. This of course is an extreme example but it shows just how much the person reading your papers can affect the outcome.

Which school do you go to in Turkey? Congratulations on your 45 :D

Which school do you go to in Turkey? Congratulations on your 45 :D

The American Collegiate Institute in Ä°zmir, what about you? Also, congrats on finishing the IB with such amazing grades :D

MEF International School Istanbul. And thank you so much, all that hard work feels so worth it now :yahoo:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Daksh Verma said:

Can someone pls tell me what this grading system is out of 45? I am unable to figure it out.

Um this is the way the IB is graded.  42 marks for your six subjects (6*7), and 3 bonus marks for your EE and TOK.  CAS is required, but does not count towards points.  

On 3/21/2017 at 10:21 AM, Daksh Verma said:

Okay, thanks 

also do you pick hl and sl in grade 11 and 12 or just grade 12 and are hl and sl course codes the same or different

I'm fairly certain that most schools have you select your HLs and SLs in grade 11, and grant you the option to either drop an HL to an SL or go from SL to HL (the latter is generally more difficult).  You select a minimum of three HLs for your IB diploma, although more is possible.  Not sure what you mean about course codes; the content is often quite similar, but HL courses generally go more in depth compared to SL ones.  

This is starting to divert from the thread's original purpose, so I'd recommend you create a new thread or search through this forum using the search box if you want more information.