Animals vs humans

Haney

ok, so we're in tok one day, and the teacher pops the topic- what makes humans different from animals. I say nothing, or very little. we're advanced, sure, but that doesn't mean we hav something animals don't. its the same, cept that perhaps ours has developed more?

what do you think?

be prepared- i might argue this- i love arguing

It's said that we are different from animals because we question our own existence with subjects like philosophy (and TOK).

Personally, I think that's not a very good argument because we can't understand animal language and so have no idea what they are thinking. It's like trying to read another person's mind.

We read this for my Critical Thinking class at uni. It's basically TOK but focused on reasoning.

Singer.pdf

can he even download that? :) harsh haha

------------

She - and I think she can. Everyone can download from GD - it's just the IB section that download is restricted. I think. Haney, let me know whether you can see that. :P Back to topic. :P

Edited by HMSChocolate

The biggest difference is the brain size, so there the human's power to think and make judgments. There is also one more thing like others mentioned - ie physical structure.

I just want to point out that brain size does not affect intelligence. I'm pretty sure an elephant's brain would be larger than a human but I wouldn't say they are smarter.

The fact that we are never happy with what we have is tied to the fact that we are more intelligent. I don't think animals have the capability to set up personal unrealistic goals to follow. They follow the life structure that would ensure them the most chance of survival developed through millions of years of evolution. Darwin's theory, what keeps you alive is carried on and the not-so-useful ones aren't. Birds migrate South in Winter and North in Summer. Baby chicks thinks that whatever they see first are their mother. Humans don't live by the rules, that's why they are different.

What we know of animals are entirely based on observation on reasoning. So it might be fair to argue that animals are actually more complex than we think they are.

I just want to point out that brain size does not affect intelligence. I'm pretty sure an elephant's brain would be larger than a human but I wouldn't say they are smarter.

Perhaps not brain size but what about percentage of brain that is actually used?

I think 'brain size' would refer to relative size and not absolute size. (Not sure about the stats on this but I read that dolphins have pretty close intelligence to humans. Also not sure of their brain to body ratio :D )

Actually I think that intelligence IS based on the brain body size ratio. I've read it somewhere but my memory is fuzzy.

I think the percentage of brain used thing is a myth, not sure on the details but we actually use all of our brain.

Where are the sources, man? (mere personal opinion doesn't work here)

Simply because we are more intelligent. We have computers, cars, planes, while the most intelligent animals (dolphins I believe?) are still frolicking in the sea.

Oh and we are physically different... we are in the primates species but we are physically different :yahoo:

But maybe dolphins are smarter simply because they are happy in their water while we are still complaining about our lives, even if we have our computers, cars, planes... Plus they get to stay in the relaxing water all day and not drown.

I agree with the physically different part. I sometimes think that this is what actually helped us advance so much. Imagine building computers if you have a dog's fingers (are they called fingers?)...or a horse's "hands". It doesn't really help, does it?

Rentle, it was no personal opinion. I know the fact, it just slipped out of my mind at the time. Here's your proof: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.htm. That website along with the other websites in the front page of a simple google search basically say the same thing. I take Psychology so to me it sounded wrong anyway. Put a human through an fMRI and you'll see that at one time or the other all parts of the brain is functioning.

Great human brain doesn't neccessarily equal greatness. Animals don't usually kill their own species and animals don't commit suicide either. In this sense i'd say animals could be somehow even better than some humans

Animals may not have any particular goals in life other than survival (i believe our observance of their behaviorism tells us that) nor do they question existentialism or wherether there is a God or not. Animals are much more into utility therefore, I mean really, imagine jobs/money/careers wouldn't dominate our lives... would any discussions about existentialism help us in any ways? It might calm us if we find out why we exist, but if we didn't question as to why we exist in the first place, we wouldn't have any need for this

Don't you think that because we question our existence, we are potentially more intelligent than animals who may or may not question their existence? Though honestly i don't think they do, my pet cat is always so thick and clueless. Anyway wouldn't you say that our life is more complex because we are capable of making it complex for ourselves, and that alone say something about our ability?

I don't think humans are superior to animals, and yeah humans are different to animals just like a lizard is different to a frog

It depends on what kind of superiority you are talking about. In term of food chain, as you discussed, human is definitely superior because they are the top predator. In term of complexity then, maybe, our heightened sensibility puts us at a disadvantage to the "free and happy" animals. Then again complexity is not necessarily a bad thing. We wouldn't be talking to each other without human's intelligence.

• 4 weeks later...

The book Lord of the Flies deals with this common question. It presents primary school boys (around 8-10 years old) in an environment where there are no adults present. The book challenges the idea that the organization of society as we know it is not a natural thing humans are born with, but rather acquired concepts that actually go against the laws of nature of animals in general (humans being animals). It is interesting in the book to see how these children try to establish a grown up society and to impose a government. However, as the storyline progresses, this degrades into a state of 'savagery' that resembles what we commonly know as animal behaviour.

Personally, I agree with this view. It is not usual for animals to help others when they don't see an inmediate gain for themselves. This in turn may explain why it can be difficult to teach a young human the principles of generosity when it involves giving things away without an inmediate gain,