Animals vs humans

Haney

you guys...its kinda simple....i think

there's obviously a difference between mind and brain yeah?

i truely believe that the ONE difference between humans and animals(despite them being all animals)...is the mind...and this is not only because the quran says so...but because it makes sense...

we can think.....like...we know whats right and wrong...whats ethical and whats no ethical...we have conciousness...its not about the brain size...not about feelings...i dont think so..at least...

so yeah..its the mind....and please watch out...im not saying BRAIN..im saying mind.....

It's not soo simple. Animals also know whats right and wrong and act very ethical indeed. If you treat your dog fairly it will be loyal and nice to you, rather than betray a friendship (which some of us humans do). That's the right thing to do, isn't it?

Animal predators such as lions and tigers only go out to hunt/kill their prey when they are hungry and not because they have any pleasure in killing. That's the right thing to do.

Dolphins sometimes help humans in need too.

I would also say that animals also have a lot of consciousness, like wolves, tigers etc. deliberately stay away from human settlements as they know that these are dangers. Furthermore a hungry tiger will not attack a human being if the human poses no threat or danger, it takes a tiger to become very VERY hungry before it leaps out to prey on a human.

And elephants are prone to take revenge (eventually) on their masters who mistreated them

So no, i don't agree that this definition of the ''mind'' differentiates us from animals. Especially since we are all animals anways

hmm....yes....i do agree...you're making sense.....but then what's your definition of "mind"...and how id different from brain...besides the fact that brain is an organ...and mind isnt...i mean like...the functions...

but hang on..if you think about...can animals read?what makes them unable to do so?

if we refer to the response to the things human do to them....then we can include plants aswell....well...certain ones.....i'll have to think more about a definition for "mind"...because i'm certain that thats the difference.....

Edited by mahuta

Humans have evolved from apes, so obviously we were once either or still are animals.

We speak, but that doesn't mean other animals don't too. We just don't understand them.

All animals evolve, we just all evolve in different ways; we use technology.

Animals have things we don't have, such as ultra-refined senses.

Just because we're different, though, is no reason to consider animals as being below us.

Humans have evolved from apes, so obviously we were once either or still are animals.

We speak, but that doesn't mean other animals don't too. We just don't understand them.

All animals evolve, we just all evolve in different ways; we use technology.

Animals have things we don't have, such as ultra-refined senses.

Just because we're different, though, is no reason to consider animals as being below us.

i dont see it right just to state that....if you'er an evolutionist....some arent....so stating something like that isnt really accurate....

but for your belief...which i respect.....if you believe that human evolved from apes....then there's no difference what so ever between animals and human...just the fact that humans evolved to be different....which i dont absolutly agree...because what i believe...is that humans were different ever since Adam was created.....

just out of curiority,....if you're a christian...isnt it stated that adam was created in heaven? i mean..you do believe that adam is the first human being right? if so, then where does evolution stand here?

I didn't read the quran, but maybe it might state that the difference between animals and humans is the ''mind'' in that human beings can worship Allah and animals can't really. I dont think animals really have any faith besides their code of ethics - if that could be called ''faith''. The definition of faith is ''Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing'' so animals may have a confident belief in the idea of survival and an ethical code as I've described already, but animals don't have direct faith in an omnipotent being called God i don't think.

So yea, if thats your definition of mind (faith in god) then that must be one difference between animals and humans. But clearly the differences are endless

Oh and i'm not sure about the reading, but since animals can learn a variety of things (especially monkeys) i'm sure at least a monkey would have the potential to somehow be aware of reading - it probably will never read out in front of you but it could recognize pattern symbols (letters). Like if you put the word FOOD onto your pet's food bowl and it always eats from it, I am certain that if you give the animal different containers of food, such as a different coloured bowl or a bag or trough, and write FOOD on it then if you would have your hungry pet stand in front of a maze with 2 paths which have 2 signs on it, one saying FOOD and the other saying IBSURVIVAL, I bet the animal will go for the FOOD path even if the animal can't smell the actual food from the distance. Hmm, I wonder if this works - did anyone do an experiment on this before?

yes you've got a point there.....and yup...the differences are endless...but they relate to ONE DISTINCT difference then all these tiny ones come from....

and its not really just about worshipping god..because in that case...we(as muslims) know they do...infact everything does....are you a muslim btw? just so i know what to say:D...

and another part i totally agree with is the fact that animals dont have faith besides their code of ethics.....this is...i mean like....for example..we believe in fate and destiny.....animals dont.....as far as I know...

No i'm not a muslim, i'm Christian protestant. I am not practising however and although I believe in creation I also believe in evolution. I believe that God created sabre tooth tigers which eventually evolved into the modern day tigers. Just as dogs evolved from wolves, humans from apes and the many bird species found on the tiny islands around ecuador and indonesia also evolved from their ancestral species that inhabit Ecuador and Indonesia. That was a very fun IB biology evolution lesson; there was this really good animation about evolution around Indonesia and Ecuador we watched on some internet site. Unfortunately I don't remember the site anymore :D

I like creation and evolution :D

umm...ok....then we both have totally different views about human evolution...but i respect your opinion:)....so just wondering...i think i asked this question before either in this thread or another one...(im just not bothered to go back and check)...where does ADAM stand here? this is...if he's -from your POV- the first humanbeing....

• 1 month later...
i dont see it right just to state that....if you'er an evolutionist....some arent....so stating something like that isnt really accurate....

but for your belief...which i respect.....if you believe that human evolved from apes....then there's no difference what so ever between animals and human...just the fact that humans evolved to be different....which i dont absolutly agree...because what i believe...is that humans were different ever since Adam was created.....

just out of curiority,....if you're a christian...isnt it stated that adam was created in heaven? i mean..you do believe that adam is the first human being right? if so, then where does evolution stand here?

No, I am not a Christian.

I do not believe that Adam was the first human being created, but if he and Eve really existed, then I've got a heck of a lot of things to say to Eve.

And even if humans were not evolved from apes, there's still not a lot of reason to believe that we are better than animals. We have no idea of the ways in which animals live their lives; it's like judging a book by its cover. You shouldn't do it. It's not like just by observing an animal night and day you know what their lives are like.

I don't agree that if humans did evolve from apes, then there's no difference whatsoever between animals and humans. There is a world of difference. Actually, there's a species of difference.

Every species adapts to different environments, they all evolved differently, that's what makes them different species.

But, every species has something another species doesn't, so they can never really be compared to say one species is better than another.

And even if humans were not evolved from apes, there's still not a lot of reason to believe that we are better than animals. We have no idea of the ways in which animals live their lives; it's like judging a book by its cover. You shouldn't do it. It's not like just by observing an animal night and day you know what their lives are like.

I don't agree that if humans did evolve from apes, then there's no difference whatsoever between animals and humans. There is a world of difference. Actually, there's a species of difference.

Every species adapts to different environments, they all evolved differently, that's what makes them different species.

But, every species has something another species doesn't, so they can never really be compared to say one species is better than another.

Never said we're better than them, I just said we are completely different. We learn alot of things from the way animals live and interact. So, yes I agree with you on that.

The only point I'm making here is that we are different, thats all. I didnt say anything about us being better than humans.

Do you think they do? Well I do, but that's because of my religion. I was also taught to respect animals because they are also living creatures on this planet like humans.

Exactly the same with my religion. Just like humans have rights so do animals.

Edited by *~*MaHuTa*~*