Well... I just failed the IB, by 1 point.

So I just got my results in earlier today, and it is absolutely heart wrenching. I always had trouble doing tests in exam conditions. I am a massive procrastinator and just can't concentrate. I always get distracted by the simplest of things.

I do Film HL, Human Factors Design HL, Philosophy HL, Chinese B SL, Maths SL, and Eng Lang SL. I got a 4 on every subject in SL and in two of my HL subjects... But I got a 3 in Philosophy. So I got a 23 + 1 from the TOK/EE. So I have a 24 in IB. 

But because my HL subjects add up to 11 and not 12. I failed my IB Diploma, and will not receive it.

The university I applied to only needs 24 marks minimum, and a 4 in 2 HL subjects to enter. I have been given an offer to their university. But i'm wondering if they will accept me into their school since I have passed their requirements, but failed the IB Diploma. I am going to contact them tomorrow and explain my situation and see what they say.

What should I do?

Should I remark some of my HL subjects?

My Philosophy grade is 4 marks off the next grade,

My Design grade is also 4 marks off the next grade. 

My Film grade is 2 marks off the next grade.

I think the best bet is me to get my film grade remarked. But since Film is a 100% coursework course, i'm concerned that it wont chance anything.

Should I redo my HL paper's this November?

Should I just give up?

The fact that I failed the IB is already devastating, but the fact that I failed by 1 point.... Now thats just soul-crushing.

Edited by JasonFunderburker

I'm sorry to hear you failed. As far as your question, it sounds like you meet their requirements already. To be sure, I'd call the university (you could even do it anonymously) and ask if your exact situation would work. If they say those are their requirements and you meet them, then you should be able to go. If they require you have the diploma, that should be explicitly stated somewhere. If you call and you're okay, then you can decide for personal reasons to retake or regrade. If they say you would need to, then that priority goes up.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear you failed. As far as your question, it sounds like you meet their requirements already. To be sure, I'd call the university (you could even do it anonymously) and ask if your exact situation would work. If they say those are their requirements and you meet them, then you should be able to go. If they require you have the diploma, that should be explicitly stated somewhere. If you call and you're okay, then you can decide for personal reasons to retake or regrade. If they say you would need to, then that priority goes up.

Thank you for your comment, I am definitely going to call the university tomorrow. But in the conditions to the offer they state:

"on the condition that the candidate has obtained an IB Diploma qualification of meeting the minimum scores of 24 with at least Grade 4 in two Higher Level subjects including English or equivalent qualifications. "

Does "obtained an IB Diploma qualification" mean the score, but not the actual diploma, because they never directly state that I need to receive the diploma.

I'm going to do everything I can to try to study at their university, because it was the only university that I was interested (I cannot go abroad due to the extremely high costs, of the tuition, visa, and other factors). If I don't get into this university, oh well... I'm just a 17 year old. This may be devastating, but its not the end of my life. Its just another bump in the road, a very big bump, but still just a bump. My life will go on. I haven't even lived though 20% of my expected life span. I'm sure I will cope and be happy, even without doing the Ib or going to the university I wanted. Of course it would help greatly, but I can survive without it.

So I just got my results in earlier today, and it is absolutely heart wrenching. I always had trouble doing tests in exam conditions. I am a massive procrastinator and just can't concentrate. I always get distracted by the simplest of things.

I do Film HL, Human Factors Design HL, Philosophy HL, Chinese B SL, Maths SL, and Eng Lang SL. I got a 4 on every subject in SL and in two of my HL subjects... But I got a 3 in Philosophy. So I got a 23 + 1 from the TOK/EE. So I have a 24 in IB. 

But because my HL subjects add up to 11 and not 12. I failed my IB Diploma, and will not receive it.

The university I applied to only needs 24 marks minimum, and a 4 in 2 HL subjects to enter. I have been given an offer to their university. But i'm wondering if they will accept me into their school since I have passed their requirements, but failed the IB Diploma. I am going to contact them tomorrow and explain my situation and see what they say.

What should I do?

Should I remark some of my HL subjects?

My Philosophy grade is 4 marks off the next grade,

My Design grade is also 4 marks off the next grade. 

My Film grade is 2 marks off the next grade.

I think the best bet is me to get my film grade remarked. But since Film is a 100% coursework course, i'm concerned that it wont chance anything.

Should I redo my HL paper's this November?

Should I just give up?

The fact that I failed the IB is already devastating, but the fact that I failed by 1 point.... Now thats just soul-crushing.

I completely understand that it is devastating to be so close and lose the diploma and I'm sorry to hear that. I think you should consider a resit in the subject you got a 3 in. I'm sure you'll be able to do it since in November, you'll only have one exam to focus on so that should give you an automatic advantage. As for your university, to me it sounds like they are expecting you to have 24 points AND a diploma, as usually universities that accept certificates do not ask for an overall mark of 24. Once again, you should ask the university, as they are the only ones who can give you a definitive and correct answer. 

I also applaud your positivity and this is truly just a bump in the road that you will be able to overcome! It isn't a big bump like you stated, one resit will help you a lot, so do consider it. 

Best of luck! 

Should I request for remarks?

Russian A SL: The marks required for grade to increase-3 (lower boundary is 70, and I got 82)

ITGS SL: The marks required for grade to increase-1 (lower boundary is 46, and I got 57)

Physics HL: The marks required for grade to increase-3 (lower boundary is 64, and I got 70)

Mathematics HL: The marks required for grade to increase-4 (lower boundary is 65, and I got 71)

You should remark itgs, not the rest. its hard for it to go up 4 marks.

Also regarding my situation, I contacted my university, and turns out they needed a diploma. They said that there was a 99.9% chance that I wouldn't be accepted. They had to discuss my situation amongst themselves for a few days. But just this morning I received a phone call that I was accepted to the university even without a diploma. Apparently they really liked my portfolio, my interview responses, and me. Apparently this was the first time they accepted someone without a diploma. I am so happy that they accepted me.

• Like 6

I'm in the same situation. I was one mark away in Biology so I'm going for a re-mark.

My university sent me an e-mail at first telling me that my offer had been rescinded since I wasn't able to get my diploma but after I sent them an e-mail telling them I was having a re-mark in a subject I was only one mark away, they said they'd wait for the results to come back.

So I'd recommend going for a re-mark before deciding whether you should resit an exam.