1 mark away from 7 Math. Remark?

amritpal

I'm 1 mark away from a Level 7 in sl Math.  I really want that 7 and it'll help me for uni applications but is it worth it? Have people been moved up 1 mark before? Do all papers get marked? Can your IA be remarked?
Feel free to answer any/all questions :D

Edited by amritpal

Well I mean you could always try, but the maths mark scheme is quite objective and does not allow for much wiggle room; however, seeing that you are just one mark away I personally think you should go for it. I don't know if everything is remarked or if you can ask for specific papers or the exploration, but your coordinator has access to the marks you received in each component, so you could make an informed decision based on those. I would suggest contacting your coordinator ASAP. Also, congrats on the 6, which is also a fantastic grade, especially in Math. I hope that you'll be able to bump it up to a 7  ^_^  ^_^ .

Edited by bguloglu
  • Like 2

How does SL Math have 3 papers? O.o 

Anyway, the only papers remarked would be Papers 1 and 2. The IA is not re-moderated at all, unless the school sees an abnormally large IA downmoderation, in which case a Category 3 enquiry is initiated for a complete remarking of all internal assessments in that subject. But 1 point to a 7 would translate into more marks needed in both papers, depending on the weightage, so that could be hard to obtain, especially since math is a very objective subject, there is only one right answer. 

And again, 6 is an awesome score. :)

How does SL Math have 3 papers? O.o 

Anyway, the only papers remarked would be Papers 1 and 2. The IA is not re-moderated at all, unless the school sees an abnormally large IA downmoderation, in which case a Category 3 enquiry is initiated for a complete remarking of all internal assessments in that subject. But 1 point to a 7 would translate into more marks needed in both papers, depending on the weightage, so that could be hard to obtain, especially since math is a very objective subject, there is only one right answer. 

And again, 6 is an awesome score. :)

What would be your recommendation?

If you can still apply to unis then you may consider a retake of exams in November, at a school near you. Otherwise you can contact IB-coordinator and ask to resit the exams in the next session. The math exploration cannot be resubmitted or reevaluated.