Activities that look good for applying to college

matbla

Hey,

I wan and ask you a question about some activities you did/ do during your IB. I mean what kind of activities do universities see as the best, that may help me in my application? Especially in the U.S.? I just don't know what to do apart from the IB and having some fun with friends 😂 And btw I am interested in economics and politics :)

Hey there,

MUN is an activity that students who want to do economics, history, politics and law typically do because it demonstrates an awareness of global issues and ability to defend a position through speech.

My school also runs a club for Economic History which introduced the history of economics and how economics developed over time which is something outside the curriculum but nevertheless helps me to attain better understanding of some concepts such as Keynesian LRAS.

Some other things may be local volunteering, internship related to the field of economics (maybe banking?) and tutoring/mentoring for students younger than you.

Hope this helps!

I'm specifically writing about colleges in the U.S, so I apologize if this information doesn't apply universally. Colleges don't care about what specific activities you do, just as long as you show passion and leadership in something. Many kids in the U.S. believe that having a laundry list of extracurricular activities is what colleges are looking for, but they care about quality over quantity. My advice to you would be to join clubs or activities that suit your interests (e.g. Model UN or debate team), and eventually get a leadership role. Joining a sports team and participating in national competitions is another good way to stand out. As the poster above said, make sure you volunteer if you have an opportunity to.

Personally, I was involved in National Honor Society, Varsity Tennis, Math League, Academic Bowl, Mock Trial, and my school's radio station in high school. Good luck!

• Like 1

No. You're approaching this incorrectly. Admission officers will see right through what you're trying to do i.e. they'll easily be able to figure out if you got involved in an activity/club because you were genuinely interested or doing it to improve your application. I'm not saying you shouldn't ask for advice on what extracurricular activities align with your interest in politics/economics etc but what I'm saying is don't commit yourself to an activity if you don't want to do it. 

Please don't take offence, I'm not trying to attack you. 

• Like 1

Best activities would be ones that you're genuinely passionate about because that way, you can get a lot from it and you also have a lot to write about. It shows the admissions people that you have a sort of intrinsic motivation and that you're not just doing the activity for a higher chance of getting in. Idk with economics, but for politics, I think debate is a good place to start. 

Thank you all for help. My school offers he possibility to take a part in MUN so i think, after reading your posts it is a good idea. Oh, i never take offence :) but i just was wondering what is the best option. I want to get involved in something that is simultaneously helpful in applying to college and for other reasons that are of course equally important :)

Hey, it's summer right? I just finished my Year 12, and moving on to my final year :) My counsellor advised me to have work experience, or work voluntarily. I did it. I worked for 3 weeks in a surfschool. 

This is important for university, but since you're interested in Econmics/politics, maybe you should try and get an internship in this field :)

You should try and have a maximum of things to tell the university, so that you have an advantage on others