Do not discuss exams until 24 hours have passed. More information about the rules here.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
benkenobi1111

English B - Lord of the Rings

Hello IB survivors

I need an opinion if writting an EE in J.R.R Tolkien series is ok? I heard that it isn't recommended to choose and that EE based on those are getting poorly graded.

Also i need an opinion if my RQ is appropirate ? " What factors and themes play a role in the title’s One Ring impact on protagonists and antagonists behavior?†Is it good enough to study ? And not to wide/narrow ? It was accepted by my supervisor but I'm not sure if it's appropirate.

Any posts welcome :) Thx in advance

Edited by benkenobi1111

yeah its fine

as long as you can write a 4000 word essay on it

I'd say the text is linguistically appropriate but the question isn't great. It's very broad - especially for a language-based essay, your 4000 words will fill up far quicker than you'd like. In addition, the two elements (themes and character behaviour) aren't really connected - it's not literary themes that motivate character actions. You need to direct it more to achieve maximum grades in the criteria regarding focus of the question etc.

As an hl english student, I don't know what the requirements for B english are, but usually if we want to write our EE on something to do with the characters of the book, we must pick a second book to compare them with (usually something older like Shakespeare). Also the question what factors is way too broad and you would be in danger of not going in depth enough.

If you want to write your EE on something like LOTR, I recommend narrowing your question to one theme or literary device and then narrowing it even more down to aspects of plot character development etc.

E.g. "How does the author use animal imagery in character development.

So maybe how about "What is the role of lust for power in the One Ring impact on protagonists and antagonists behavior?" or "How does the lust for power plays a role in the One Ring impact on protagonists and antagonists behavior?" What you think?

Edited by benkenobi1111

If you think you can go deep and keep it within 4000 words thats along the right lines-ish, personally I would compare the role of lust in character behavior (with another book), since it is a really common theme.

But you're on the right track and remember that your research question will change many times before settling into its final form.

If you were me would you fill in the limit? Just hypothetically

And also do you think that this topic is enough to achieve a decent grade B or C? Maybe it sucks in all the way, and I should change it?

For me I probably would add a second book like Macbeth and discuss the theme in both.

It just helps me go deeper...

Also it would help me focus, but that's just me.

Well thank you for all your help ;) I will see, I will discuss adding second book to compare with my supervisor