Getting in to Harvard

FahaD

Well, I know a guy who got in to harvard from my school to study pure physics, with something in the 42 range, with 776 HL (Math physics and english) Of course, he won first on the canadian physics olympiad thing with his team, and did awesome on sats and math contests. Anyways, he was asian and canadian, and got a full ride scholarship to Harvard, so it's definitely possible for IB students.

And I know a guy who got into Harvard... who lied on his application. biggrin.gif Quite stupid of him to announce to the world what he did though question.gif

Can't universities check if you are lying? If they can't, isn't it very possible to make up extracurricular activities on your application and make yourself look really good?

I know the guy Irene is talking about. I think a teacher in my school confirmed all his 'stuff' without being sure herself about it..

When my teacher visited Harvard last year, she asked the admission officer what they think of the IB and are there any specific requirements for admission. They replied with: "Yes we know how rigorous the IB is, however we still require potential applicants to be predicted all 7s in their HL subjects."

The person who got in from my school didnt get a single 7 in his HLs, he has no family legacy either.

Edited by master135

I kind of have a problem with some of the students who enter some of these prestigious schools, especially that of Harvard.

Let me give you a personal example.

So For the local science fair, here are obvious guidelines that are set. One of them is you cant work with bacterial growth and other kinds of things that are way out of your league for High School. So I did some factor effecting plants, and I was already aware of my variable limitations and thus knew the shortcomings of my experiment. That is why a simple experiment can sometimes be wise, because you can control all aspects of it - which is what they like to see.

So anyways the student now, is going to Harvard for Freshman year for Fall. Though two years ago, my teacher brought up something I myself didnt fully grasp.

He basically insisted on going against the guidelines, and used his dad's laboratory to grow bacteria under some condition and then published the research. He was considered an outright A*hole because he didnt let his research shine on it's own, but instead had his dad call upon the local newspapers in order to make a bigger splash of the already prohibited research. The local team basically said it was exceptional research and deemed the experiment number 1, despite the fact that it transgressed many lines.

Now you might think I am coming from a very jealous position, but not at all!

I think Harvard is a great grad school, not my number one choice for many reasons, but it is a possibility I will apply there in attempts of getting into grad school.

The big Idea behind this Germ experiment and the aspects that came with it, is that the whole community of scientist (our teachers with qualifications) were upset with the whole presentation of this kid. Not only did he break the guidelines and not see any type of barrier - but also he became a nuisance at the fair as the reporters lined up to capture an obviously unworthy story (the extensive research that the other kids did, not including me, was so much more respectable and valuable in science sense that many of the teachers felt sorry for those who took strenuous research for a whole year on something like eutriphication in local ponds). In a science sense he had no actual value, just an inflated study that many have been told was facilitated by the researchers of his dad's laboratory.

I a just trying to imagine, the legacy of excellence that a historic university like Harvard was building, and how with modern society it has failed to question its applicants outside of the things they say they do/did. That you have kids unworthy of actual praise, are being handed or spoon-fed things like independent research. There are many of us who do independent research for the sake of science, and go through the process all on its own.

Dont get me wrong, I understand the superficial judgment I am instilling here. That some Harvard applicants, are getting in based on the life they grow up in and the money of their family. Money talks.

but I am not really bothered. There are far bigger problems to explore. As someone who has observed this and personally felt it, those who depend on their parents too much only fail in the actual environment. Many of the independent researchers, at the high school level, use their credentials to be hand-picked by professors for college research. Isn't it funny, when you are given an experiment as an extension of your own, and you fail to even recognize those things that are considered primordial in science (not the soup! the old age principles!!).

So all in all if you are getting into prestigious universities, preferably Harvard, based on an unethical performance. Go for it! I actually approve Highly of this!! Because it will make the professors only more aggravated that you are a cripple in your own specialty, especially if it's what got you there in the first place :P

Edited by biochem

• 1 month later...

Well, I know a guy who got in to harvard from my school to study pure physics, with something in the 42 range, with 776 HL (Math physics and english) Of course, he won first on the canadian physics olympiad thing with his team, and did awesome on sats and math contests. Anyways, he was asian and canadian, and got a full ride scholarship to Harvard, so it's definitely possible for IB students.

And I know a guy who got into Harvard... who lied on his application. XD Quite stupid of him to announce to the world what he did though XD

What were his rough grades Irene?

Was he considered top 10 in your IB class of students?

I'm sure he might've exaggerated a few things but didnt lie about everything...