Is my school's uniform policy sexist?

M&m_Fan99

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/21/2015 at 9:13 AM, ibprincess said:

HELLO FRIEND I'M HERE TO TELL YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG

please, as i begin this post, find your nearest measurement device and take a note of where 10cm is. if the only measurement device you have is in inches, that would be 3.94 inches. That is about the length of my index finger and i have small hands!! you with your incredebly powerful and masculine hands must have much long and stronger fingers, but i'm sure you get the gist. 

now, to answer your, truly brilliant and not even slightly misogynistic, question "who would want a bunch of half naked girls walking around school".

Wow ok so this might be a hard one for you to understand, but if i can do it with my lady brain, i'm sure you can manage as well!! I promise you, 1 million billion percent, those girls are not "half naked" to impress you. they are not "half naked" because they are being forced to be. they are not "half naked" to upset you.  â€‹There are doing it because they want to.

1. they
  2. are
  3. doing
  4. it
  5. because
  6. they
  7. want
  8. to

no one (e.g. school/government/person) should be able to tell a person what they can or cannot wear.

there are a few things wrong with how you seem to be struggling to understand about this.

Firstly, extended from my earlier point about legs. legs are not something a person should be ashamed of and hide. In our modern society, in all settings, at the very least, a persons genitals must be covered, as they are sexual organs and we, as a society, have decided it is unacceptable for our sexual organs to be on display. (this is not because we should be ashamed of them-some say we started doing this to prevent genital lice). now, the reason i am mentioning this is because a female's legs, and a female's vagina, are very very different things. I am sure that you don't need me to explain why. There is no reason that legs must be covered as we should not be sexualising legs in the way a sexual organ can be sexualised. Additionally, there are no diseases, such as genital lice, that apply to legs, so it is not necessary in any way to cover legs. Furthermore, this is in a school setting, where the majority of pupils would be under 18. There is no reasons for legs to be sexualised, and there is especially no reason for the legs of minors to be sexualised. if there are regulations in place to prevent male students, or male teachers or male members of the public from being aroused by a teenage girls legs, it is more of a problem of the society than of young girls going around "half naked". 

you made a point that the double standard doesn't exist, and men wouldn't wear shorts that are as unholy as being 10cm above the knee.

In japan, this is the primary school uniform (prepare yourself, the shorts are short) http://japandave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/ElemGakuran.jpg 

it is a cultural norm for (at just about every primary school) young boys to wear shorts that are that short. Yes, this uniform changed in Japanese middle and high school, but it is socially acceptable for shorts that short to be worn by young children. yes, i understand a teenage or older male might not wear these shorts, but i'm trying to show you it is socially acceptable. Also, like I don't know how long the underwear you wear is but it must be pretty damn long if it can be caught so high up in your ass and also reach 10cm above your knee. additionally, there is a difference between underwear and shorts or skirts. while underwear are used to cover sexual organs, short or skirts are used to cover legs. underwear and shorts are quite different in nature, and function in different ways.

Lastly, your comment about men not wearing only underwear to school is also wrong. as i just said underwear does not equal shorts. Underwear have developed a sexual connotation due to their function of covering sexual organs. shorts or pants or skirts should not have this connotation. if a man wanted to wear shorts to school, even if they are more than 10cm above the knee, that should not be a problem, it shouldn't effect you and it shouldn't be your business. 

if anything doesn't make sense feel free to quote this post with your questions and i will happily help you out

Sorry for quoting the whole post, I don't know how to just have my post under yours.

So. I was thinking, firstly 10cm above the knee is nothing. There was a girl two grades above me who would literally wear a boob tube, or a crop tank-top if she was feeling modest. I wish there was a rule to get her to wear shirts. Anyway (sidetracked), as long as you can't see a person's butt cheeks (sorry, in my tired state, I can't think of a nicer word) then the shorts/skirt is fine. People can have their legs showing, and if the thighs are 'distracting' to other students, they need to stop looking. I was wondering, what's the policy on girls' shorts? where can they go?

• 2 months later...

As long as things are the same for both genders with the requirements, we're all good. My school doesn't have a dress code, but honestly I think it should. There is one girl who will dome to school with see through shirts (literally, thats the design), to show her bra. It's not the whole sexualising thing, but rather that I was just a little uncomfortable sitting there, as another female, being able to see her bra clear as day. Other than that, it's fine. The guys are all very modest, and some of the girls are, and nobody says anything.