Maths formula/equation in EE

So do you know any software that i can use for typing formula in my extended essay? I want to make it look as professional as possible. It would be great if the software was fairly easy to use.... 

Thank you for reading.

Don't use Microsoft Word. It sucks for formatting math and equations.

Instead, use LaTeX (or a version of it). It's fairly simple, and there are tons of guides to help you learn the formatting commands. Plus it makes your paper look awesome. And you can download versions of it for free online.

• Like 1

Don't use Microsoft Word. It sucks for formatting math and equations.

Instead, use LaTeX (or a version of it). It's fairly simple, and there are tons of guides to help you learn the formatting commands. Plus it makes your paper look awesome. And you can download versions of it for free online.

Really? But my teacher said it is really complicated and I need to use programming languages....... which is too time consuming. 

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

So do you know any software that i can use for typing formula in my extended essay? I want to make it look as professional as possible. It would be great if the software was fairly easy to use.... 

Thank you for reading.

Personally, I think Equation Editor extension in Microsoft Word is a great tool to use for beginners. The reason is that it's so much easier and more intuitive to use it compared to the actual LaTex. MS Word's equation editor comes with lots of GUI (graphic user interface), which makes it easier to visualize the equations while you are typing.

Besides, you can also type equations in Microsoft Word using LaTex style. For example, the LaTex code for the symbol lambda is \lambda, which is exactly the same in MS Word. So if you know how to type well in MS Word, LaTex would become much more intuitive for you later on in university. For the instructions for how to use these features, take a look at these 2 pdfs.

Latex Codes.pdf, Latex in Words.pdf

The only annoying thing about MS Word is that it shrinks the size of the equations if you choose the in-line modes. And this looks really bad for a professional maths paper. However, you can do some tricks using tables to get around this problem.