The Ultimate Re-mark Thread (and some info on remarking)

Ann Vyshinsky

I think a thread about re-marks will be useful to the ones who are considering a remark or waiting for their enquiry to take place, as it's quite inconvenient to search the information about re-marks in many separate threads. 

I suggest posting the following information:

• Subject 
  • How many % was the grade from the next one (if relevant, breakdown by components)
  • How long did the decision take
  • Result (up, down or unchanged)

By "re-mark" I mean mainly a category 1 enquiry upon results (EUR). Perhaps some information would be necessary:

• A category 1 EUR involves the externally assessed components of a candidate's work (thus, no IAs - they can be re-moderated separately as a part of a category 3 EUR) being remarked by a senior examiner.
  • It cannot be requested for individual components (papers).
  • A re-mark can be requested only through your IB DP Coordinator. 
  • It cannot be requested without the candidate's consent, as grade can go down.
  • The deadline is 15 September for May examinations. 
  • Cost: $ 114 / £ 65 per subject.
  • If grade changes (either up or down), fee is returned.
  • Once again: grade can go down as well as up.
  • Time: 18 days is a target (but it can get longer in case of postal delays).
  • Only your IB DP Coordinator is notified about the result of your re-mark request, however you will see your updated grades on IB Candidates website.
  • As far as I am concerned, if your grade changes, IBO issues new result transcripts for free.
  • Your university choices are not notified when you are requesting a re-mark, so you should call them / email them if necessary. [These two I am not very confident about, please correct me if something is wrong!]

Sources: mainly https://ibanswers.ibo.org/, information supplied by my IB DP Coordinator

Good luck with your re-marks!  ^_^

Edited by Ann Vishinsky
  • Like 2

Just in case this information might be helpful for anyone,

As a very rough rule of thumb we have found that if you are within 1% of an upper boundary your chances of moving up a grade are about 40%.  If you are 2% below, it is 30%, for 3% it is 20% and 4% only a 10% chance.  These figures will depend of course on the subject.  Mathematics, for example, is less subjective in the way it is marked and so there is likely to be less variation.  Do note that in all cases the most likely result is for there to be no change.

This information is from an ibo website.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

did you get your money back cause your grade in ee went up?

I'm pretty sure the grade has to go up, not the percentage. So if you go from a 6 to a 7, you'll get reimbursed, but not if you increase from 56% to 58% with no change in the actual grade. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I received a 3 in the internally assessed portion of my Theatre SL exams even though my teacher graded me at a 5. I'm 1 point away from a four for that assessment, which would bring my overall grade for Theatre up a point and thus make me eligible for college credit for that course. She suggested I try for a Category 3 Enquiry Upon Results, but I can't find much info about it online. Has anyone tried it? And does anyone know the price?

Is there any way to re-mark IA's and internally moderated assessments? Our English orals were all moderated down 5 points, which really screwed some people. One girl got a 44 and she would've got a 45 except the english oral brought her down from a 7 to a 6. Is there any way the orals can be remarked? Thanks.

8 hours ago, ibmaverick2017 said:

Is there any way to re-mark IA's and internally moderated assessments? Our English orals were all moderated down 5 points, which really screwed some people. One girl got a 44 and she would've got a 45 except the english oral brought her down from a 7 to a 6. Is there any way the orals can be remarked? Thanks.

For IAs to be remarked, it has to be a case where the average of marks pre-moderation and post-moderatoin differed by 20% or more. Your teacher then, through your DPC, request a remark for the whole class (quite expensive, nearly $300 I think). IAs cannot be remarked on an individual basis.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, IB`NOT`ez said:

For IAs to be remarked, it has to be a case where the average of marks pre-moderation and post-moderatoin differed by 20% or more. Your teacher then, through your DPC, request a remark for the whole class (quite expensive, nearly $300 I think). IAs cannot be remarked on an individual basis.

I think 15% rounded down but yeah 5 in English oral for the grade should be enough to qualify for a regrade. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

My IB coordinator says that only people within the 1% from the upper-grade boundary are allowed to request remark where I am 2% away from the mark band for 7. is anyone experiencing the same thing with me???? I am very frustrated as my econ SL teacher really believed that I could get a 7. Someone please help.

6 minutes ago, lola0531HFX said:

My IB coordinator says that only people within the 1% from the upper-grade boundary are allowed to request remark where I am 2% away from the mark band for 7. is anyone experiencing the same thing with me???? I am very frustrated as my econ SL teacher really believed that I could get a 7. Someone please help.

No, everyone can submit for re-mark, whether it's 1% or 8%. But re-mark costs money, so if your school is covering the cost for you then they wouldn't want everyone to re-mark. 

Im pretty sure my school doesn't cover the cost of remarking and I made it clear to my IBC that I am willing to pay for the cost. the problem is that she keeps on saying that it is the school policy to only request remark for 1%, and since the only way to get a remark is through IBC, I feel really stuck. please help and thank you for replying 

• Sad 1