Computer Science - EE ! Help !

kaeyre

i find it funny that you want 'steps' cause its pretty much the same for every ee

start researching on general concepts of cs and do what you like and find

if you dont find anything then you're better off doing something on another subject...

but i heard from my teacher saying that cs ee's will be treated harshly cause its part of the sciences

since its a science you cant do pure research, you will have to do some sort of a development, using functions and stuff and link it with some sort of theory

so programming + theoretical concept would be what you need to do (i think the concept needs to be beyond our syllabus but im not sure)

i personally was going to do my ee on cs, (but ended up doing it on itgs), and i came up with two questions (my school starts ee very early); one about doing cryptography through programming a function which would crack the enigma code (but its been already done so i wanted to find another way) and the next about having a memory management simulation showing how data gets arranged through priority on 3 levels (which would be too complex as it would have 3^3 methods to represent). both these topics were deemed incredibly hard to do, and the cs ee criteria was very vague much like the cs ia one so you wont have much idea on how it will be graded (cause my supervisor told me it would be subjective so idk bout that maybe he just didnt want me to do it on cs lol)

why i ended up taking itgs:

the itgs was pretty much the same 'area' with cs, but i get to talk about ethics and morality with itgs which i cant in cs, and i get to completely ignore the coding bit which was the hard part and just evaluate stuff other people say about it and research which my teacher told me was a much better idea (something about simplicity yet being effective)

so yea if you have a strong base in cs then you should do it i guess cause in the last 5 years only 2 people from my school did their ee's on cs

and keep it simple

• Like 1

i find it funny that you want 'steps' cause its pretty much the same for every ee

start researching on general concepts of cs and do what you like and find

if you dont find anything then you're better off doing something on another subject...

but i heard from my teacher saying that cs ee's will be treated harshly cause its part of the sciences

since its a science you cant do pure research, you will have to do some sort of a development, using functions and stuff and link it with some sort of theory

so programming + theoretical concept would be what you need to do (i think the concept needs to be beyond our syllabus but im not sure)

i personally was going to do my ee on cs, (but ended up doing it on itgs), and i came up with two questions (my school starts ee very early); one about doing cryptography through programming a function which would crack the enigma code (but its been already done so i wanted to find another way) and the next about having a memory management simulation showing how data gets arranged through priority on 3 levels (which would be too complex as it would have 3^3 methods to represent). both these topics were deemed incredibly hard to do, and the cs ee criteria was very vague much like the cs ia one so you wont have much idea on how it will be graded (cause my supervisor told me it would be subjective so idk bout that maybe he just didnt want me to do it on cs lol)

why i ended up taking itgs:

the itgs was pretty much the same 'area' with cs, but i get to talk about ethics and morality with itgs which i cant in cs, and i get to completely ignore the coding bit which was the hard part and just evaluate stuff other people say about it and research which my teacher told me was a much better idea (something about simplicity yet being effective)

so yea if you have a strong base in cs then you should do it i guess cause in the last 5 years only 2 people from my school did their ee's on cs

and keep it simple

Actually i'm very much interested in CS. That why i am taking risk to do EE in cs. After all, IB is taking risk :) 

It  is just that i'm going crazy in choosing RQ ! So thought i could ask for some help ! :) 

I know you might think I'm crazy right now for saying this but do NOT do your ee on computer science. Change it to something else not involving a science, especially computer science or math. If you want 2 or 3 bonus points, do another subject. CS is the worst, I know people who were in your position and only ended up getting a C/D. Seriously, do it on something like business, I did mine on business and tbh I thought it was **** and didn't know what I was doing but I got an A! Anyway, the ib examiners are way too harsh, especially for computer science and no one really does their ee on this subject so the ib examiner is likely to be more strict. If you have a good supervisor who you feel will guide you well through your ee, then go for it. But speak to some other students who did their ee on CS from previous years, if you still want to go ahead and do your ee on this.

• Like 1

I just saw that you're studying business. Do your ee on business I'm telling you, you could easily get an A, especially if you choose a big company with loads of information on the Internet. I could give you a lot of Sample ee's, including mine, and some notes if you change your mind and do it on business. I hated business, and still got an A! And at the end of the day nothing matters more than your overall ib points

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I just saw that you're studying business. Do your ee on business I'm telling you, you could easily get an A, especially if you choose a big company with loads of information on the Internet. I could give you a lot of Sample ee's, including mine, and some notes if you change your mind and do it on business. I hated business, and still got an A! And at the end of the day nothing matters more than your overall ib points

I am very much interested in computer science than business. I hate the subject. tbh i am struggling with my BM IA and i dont want EE to be a burden That's why i want to do in computer science. 

Don't worry about doing your EE in CS most people seem to discourage it but if you research your topic really well, keep the focus on the subject and include everything required it shouldn't be a problem.

First of all find the area of CS you are most interested in. Examples are cryptography, algorithms/data structures ,networks, hardware, artificial intelligence etc.

Then within that area find something more specific. The best thing you can do that will help you score higher marks is find two similar things and compare them e.g.

Cryptography: Comparing two cryptosystems in terms of the degree of security they offer or how many resources they use

Algorithms: Find two algorithms or data structures that do the same things (e.g. Kruskal's and Prim's algorithms both find a minimum spanning tree of a graph) and compare their efficiency or their uses (after you have explained them)

Networks: Comparison between Peer to Peer networks and client-server ones in terms of speed or something else

Hardware: Comparison between a current processor and a quantum processor (how it is presented theoretically because it doesn't exist yet)

For Artificial Intelligence maybe you can do something with Artificial Neural Networks.

Finally, plan an experiment. A good CS EE should have an experiment (it gets you a lot more marks). So if you are comparing two algorithms implement them and take results or measure the speed of two actual networks etc.

Then you are pretty much ready to start writing. Make sure you don't divert from CS and make it too mathematical (as it would be considered a Maths EE) or too much like a social science (as then it would be ITGCS).

• Like 1

Don't worry about doing your EE in CS most people seem to discourage it but if you research your topic really well, keep the focus on the subject and include everything required it shouldn't be a problem.

First of all find the area of CS you are most interested in. Examples are cryptography, algorithms/data structures ,networks, hardware, artificial intelligence etc.

Then within that area find something more specific. The best thing you can do that will help you score higher marks is find two similar things and compare them e.g.

Cryptography: Comparing two cryptosystems in terms of the degree of security they offer or how many resources they use

Algorithms: Find two algorithms or data structures that do the same things (e.g. Kruskal's and Prim's algorithms both find a minimum spanning tree of a graph) and compare their efficiency or their uses (after you have explained them)

Networks: Comparison between Peer to Peer networks and client-server ones in terms of speed or something else

Hardware: Comparison between a current processor and a quantum processor (how it is presented theoretically because it doesn't exist yet)

For Artificial Intelligence maybe you can do something with Artificial Neural Networks.

Finally, plan an experiment. A good CS EE should have an experiment (it gets you a lot more marks). So if you are comparing two algorithms implement them and take results or measure the speed of two actual networks etc.

Then you are pretty much ready to start writing. Make sure you don't divert from CS and make it too mathematical (as it would be considered a Maths EE) or too much like a social science (as then it would be ITGCS).

Thank you so much ! :D It helped really a lot !! 

• Like 1